Pages

1.21.2017

THIS is what democracy looks like

Holy cow.

Today I attended the Women's March on Washington with my sister and some friends.  I'm sure you've seen the coverage on TV.  Coordinators were expecting 200,000 people, but at least 500,000 showed up.  Just in DC.  That doesn't count the 600+ demonstrations that took place around the world.  There were so many people there, they were unable to follow the designated route to march to the White House.  The police had to mark off new routes to accommodate all the people.  We saw men, and women, and black people, and white people, and latino people, and native americans, and asian people, and muslims, and gay people, and young kids, and senior citzens, and people with disabilities.  It seems that everyone was represented.  Hmm.  Dogs.  I didn't see any dogs or other pets, but I'm sure they were there in spirit.

With the exception of President Obama's first inauguration, this is the biggest event I have ever been to.  I had been on the fence on whether to attend--it seemed unorganized for quite a while, and then I wanted to see what the weather would be.  After feeling so dismal and disappointed on inauguration day, it felt so great to be among all of these people.  It was incredible and quite inspirational.  And I'm so glad I went.

Here are some photos from the day:










1 comment:

Kerri said...

I'm so glad you were there. I'm sure it was uplifting and gave you hope in your fellow Americans out there. Many people feel like you do, and in a united group- amazing things can happen. Thank you for marching, Valerie.