Pages

1.02.2017

And the Oscar goes to...

Or, it should go to:

Casey Affleck!


Now granted, Manchester By the Sea is the first movie I've seen in a long time, and I haven't seen any other actors that are being talked about for the big prize, but man, Casey brought it in this movie.  He gives an understated performance that just got to my heart.  Michelle Williams does too, even though she was only in it briefly.  In case you don't know, in this movie, Casey's character is named guardian of his nephew after his brother passes away and for various reasons that reveal themselves, he doesn't really want to do it.  It requires as many hankies as it sounds like it might, but there were also moments that made me smile.  I had a small issue with the ending, but that didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the movie.  It's worth watching just for Casey's great performance.

4 comments:

Kerri said...

Did you see that today? YES! I totally agree. I am currently so obsessed with Casey because of this movie so I've listened to several podcast interviews with him. What a great talent- and he's humble and so anti-hollywood. I love him. That movie really stuck with me. That line of "I just can't beat it"... oh!!! :( I am so glad you saw that. Even tho it's sad. Such a good one.

Kerri said...

oh, and ...
you know how you said it made you cry but moments made you smile. i think the actors and director made it seem so realistic by that very thing! how in even the saddest moments, it is the human condition for humor to be a little part of it all too.

Anonymous said...

I saw it yesterday! At first I wasn't sure about it. I was thinking "Is this another Oscar movie that gets so much hype but is actually really boring but everyone 'claims' to love it so they seem intelligent and deep? Maybe I don't have enough depth for these Oscar movies. Maybe I only like rom-coms. Oh no! I have no intellect!" Haha! But then I got caught up and really enjoyed it. I actually thought I'd cry more. But it finally happened. Great movie. And LOVE that Casey. Michelle was great as always but felt it was the same Michelle we see in nearly every movie she's in. That girl needs a comedy or action film to help diversify her. There was that one movie she was in with Seth Rogen that had some comedic moments a few years ago.

Valerie said...

Deb, you crack me up! You're right about Michelle needing more diversity in her roles though. I cried at least 3 times in the movie, so I probably cried enough for the both of us.

Kerri, you're right--the actors and director definitely kept the whole thing feeling so real.