Pages

1.16.2017

For the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King!

Today's post was easy to come up with.  Thirty-one years ago, the third Monday of January was declared a Federal Holiday in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.  That same year, this song and video came out, and I've been watching it every year ever since.

It first started with me recording the video from a local video show, "Friday Night Videos."  That video was on a VHS tape and I'd pull it out every year to watch.  Eventually, I transferred the video to DVD and watched it that way.  My sister and I lived together for 3 years, and we had the ritual of watching it each year.  Then YouTube came along and made it SO easy!  I love the song, I love the message, I'm glad Dr. King is honored each year.  His words are still as relevant today as they were when he spoke them. 

3 comments:

Kerri said...

youtube has made it so easy! i'm so glad you were so easily able to post this. MLK.

Anonymous said...

I sang and rapped this song while in Paris to keep up with our annual tradition. Such a good song. And a shame that not everyone knows about it! They are missing out.

Valerie said...

Deb, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm proud of you! I shared it with my coworker today--he said he was glad to see The Fat Boys made the cut.