Pages

1.29.2019

Please, let me explain

I was tagged in a 7-day Facebook challenge the other day. You know the kind--you post a picture of some sort for seven days in a row. Just the photo. No explanation. And then you tag someone to challenge them. Deep down, I've been wanting to be tagged in one of these things, but then when it actually happened, I found myself in a conundrum.

Here's the challenge:
I am posting the cover of seven books that I couldn’t put down. No explanations, no reviews, no comments, just the cover. Each time I post a cover I will ask a friend to take up the challenge as well. One book cover a day for a week. This is Day 5 and I nominate Valerie. Looking forward to seeing your selections.
Seems simple enough, right?  But here's the thing...the person who challenged me had a very substantial list of books.  Thought provoking, profound.  And when I thought back on books that I couldn't put down, I'll admit, I was embarrassed by them.  I felt unable to post them without some sort of explanation or justification--in defense of my choices.   I started drafting a list and then found myself manipulating it so it would make me look good.  And then that felt like cheating.  So, that's what brought me here...to write a blog post about it, where I can give all the explanation I want.

So, first, here are the book covers that I would have posted on Facebook.  These are indeed books that I couldn't put down, but they're different than other books I had in mind, which you'll see in a moment.

      


Now, here's my real list...full of trashy novels and sensationalistic pop fiction, along with some explanation:

Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews

When I was in 6th grade, my whole class (81 students) passed one copy of this book around.  There was pressure to finish quickly so I could pass it to the next person, but I also was so into it.  I think I felt so grown up reading it.  I then ran through anything that came out by VC Andrews.






Wifey by Judy Blume

My 6th grade class also passed around Judy Blume's Forever, and it felt so scandalous to read it!  But, when I was in 8th grade, my friend got a copy of Wifey and we "snuck read" it in her bedroom.  Whenever anyone came upstairs, we'd hide it under the mattress.  Judy Blume was our favorite author, so of course we'd read this book, whether it was for adults or not.  It's about a woman who's unhappy in her marriage and basically sleeps with any man who comes around.  I read it again as an adult and enjoyed it just as much.


The Cradle Will Fall by Mary Higgins Clark

This is the first adult book I read straight through in a 24-hour period.  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and it was so exciting.  I also read a lot of MHC after this, but this was my favorite.







Butterfly by Kathryn Harvey

This is still my favorite steamy novel.  I read this when I was in college.  A coworker at my summer job told me about it and I raced through it.  It's sexy but also has a good revenge story that keeps you on the edge of your seat.  I read this every few years and always enjoy it.






Fine Things by Danielle Steel

Are you seeing a theme here?  I read a lot of Danielle Steel, but this one was my favorite.  It wasn't as trashy as some of her other titles.  I stayed up really late to finish this and it's the first time I really cried and sobbed while reading a book.  Awww.  Bernie Fine.  I loved him.







The Other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon

One night in college, my suite mate and I stayed up until three in the morning, while she told me this whole story.  (Also, we were hunkered down in my dorm while a helicopter searched for someone who had escaped from a nearby mental institute.  I remember she'd pause the story so we could watch the helicopter search lights.)  And even though my friend told me everything, I read the book anyway.  It was SOOOO good.  I then read everything by Sidney Sheldon that I could get my hands on.  Again, this was my favorite.


The Firm by John Grisham

Here's another one that I read in a 24-hour period.  Another coworker and I then went on a John Grisham tear.  I guess we weren't the only ones...he was quite popular at the time.







I also have a couple of honorable mentions:

Chances and Lucky by Jackie Collins

I LOVED Jackie Collins.  SO trashy, and so fun.  These had an element of family crime/mafia drama that I also enjoyed.  I remember reading Lucky when I was in college and being in a math class (math was my major) where students were freaking out because they couldn't get #15 on the homework.  I couldn't be bothered.  I was too into what Lucky was doing and figured the professor would explain when he got there. 


















Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe

I've been wanting to re-read this for a while.  I have a feeling it will hold up because it tackles racism, money, privilege and greed.  Just like our news today.  I was drawn in quickly and read this over two days.







Do you see why everything needed an explanation?  If I didn't explain, people might think I stopped reading in 1995.  It's a fun trip down memory lane to think of all these books.  I look forward to re-reading some, if not all, of them.








6 comments:

Erika said...

I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE your list! OMG, Flowers In the Attic! And I completely get why you hesitated to put those on there -- not because I think you should feel ashamed or guilty, but because I totally understand feeling the need to control for other people's possible reactions and opinion-formings. To be honest, there were some books that I thought about putting on my postings but didn't. And then my one for today I went ahead and did, even though it's got a lot (A LOT) of sex and BDSM in it and part of me was wondering what my mother would think. LOL! But it's also got incredible world-building and political intrigue and an amazing protagonist (who just happens to be a courtesan-spy-sexual masochist), and I re-read it about every two years or so. Sooo, not only could I not put it down the first time I read it, I keep re-reading the dang thing. Love. It! (Kushiel's Dart by Jaqueline Carey, in case you're wondering). Pretty much the common theme in all of my books is that they are in the sci-fi/fantasy genre (mostly fantasy), with strong, complicated, badass female lead characters.

Valerie said...

Thanks for reading and for tagging me in the challenge! I think you've told me about Kushiel before (or maybe it was Dana)--maybe I'll give it a try some day. Sci-fi/fantasy isn't usually my thing, but I have read some that I enjoyed (Kindred; Dune (what I read of it...I didn't finish....I should read that again); American Gods, Good Omens, etc.). I saw that you put Kushiel on your list today. Good for you! I do like that your theme features badass women!

Erika said...

You would like Kushiel's Dart. You should read it. The "fantasy" is not so overdone... more like the idea that there are spiritual powers at work. Not like elves and wizards fantasy.

Valerie said...

Ok, cool! I'll add it to the To Be Read list!

Debbie said...

Good call on having two lists. Hahaha! I added Sidney's book to my book list. Never heard of it.

Debbie said...

P.S. Do not tag me in this challenge. Please and thank you.