Pages

2.09.2019

The Gilded Hour by Sara Donati

The Gilded HourThe Gilded Hour by Sara Donati

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'd give this 3.75 stars.

The author pays a lot of attention to detail so I always had a very clear vision of the characters, scenery, clothing, and atmosphere. The book is very long and I felt some parts perhaps had too much detail. There's a little bit of everything here: female doctors (in the 1800s), one of them half black, racism, misogyny, contraception and men controlling women's reproductive rights, humor, sadness, religion, conservative folks and progressive folks, orphaned children, the police, and oh, a serial killer. It was a lot. I was very disappointed that some storylines weren't resolved over the nearly 800 pages, but I am now indeed curious about the coming sequel.

No comments: