Pages

3.24.2018

The March for Our Lives

I'm watching coverage of today's March for Our Lives calling for better gun laws and an end to gun violence.  It was organized by a group of teenagers from Parkland High School after 17 students were killed there.  There are over 800 marches around the world and in DC, the streets are packed.

A young lady named Naomi just spoke on behalf of young black girls who are killed by guns everyday, but don't make the front page news.  She was so well spoken and eloquent and noted that in just 7 years, she and her peers will be able to vote too.

I'm so moved and impressed by the kids who are speaking today.

My mom and dad have a collection of letters that they wrote back and forth to each other in the mid-to late 1960s while they were dating and my dad was attending grad school out of state.  In one of the letters, my mom discussed Martin Luther King, Jr., and how she admired the young who were staging sit-ins and marching and demonstrating for Civil Rights.

Although there's thankfully no violence with this protest, as I watch this coverage now, I think I understand how my mom felt back then.  These kids are creating a movement and it gives me so much hope for our future.

No comments: