Pages

10.22.2018

TV Season Update

It's several weeks in to the new season.  Here are some thoughts based on what I've seen.  I copied and pasted my TV schedule post and comments will be in bold red text.  I figured this was the best way to show what I originally thought, and what I think now.

Sunday
8:30pm - God Friended Me (starts 9/30), CBS
9:00pm - Shameless (started 9/9), Showtime
9:00pm - Ray Donovan (starts 10/28), Showtime
9:00pm - The Deuce (started 9/9), HBO
9:30pm - Rel (starts 9/23), FOX
10:00pm - Kidding (started 9/9), Showtime
10:00pm - Escape at Donnemora (starts 11/18), Showtime
10:00pm - Camping (starts 10/14), HBO
10:30pm - Insecure (started 8/12), HBO
?? - Dirty John (?), Bravo

  • Dirty John is based on a podcast I just finished about a woman who realizes she doesn't really know the man she married.  It will be on Bravo in the late fall, but no specific date was given.  
  • Camping will star Jennifer Garner and Ione Skye (where has she been?)
  • I'm skeptical about God Friended Me.  The title is dumb and it seems like a knock off from last year's Kevin Probably Saves the World, which I loved...but it got canceled.  BUT...it stars the guy who was in The Mayor last year.  I liked him in that show, but it, too, got canceled.  We'll see how this one goes.  I actually really like this show a lot.  The title is still dumb, and it is quite similar to Kevin, but I still like it.  It's a feel good show for Sunday night before you go back to work on Monday.  
  • I'm also skeptical about Rel, but it stars Lil Rel Howrey, the TSA guy from Get Out, and I really like him.  Again, we'll see.  I was right to be skeptical.  I've canceled the season pass for this one.  

Monday

8:00pm - The Resident (9/24), FOX
8:00pm - The Neighborhood (10/1), CBS
8:30pm - Happy Together (10/1), CBS
9:00pm - The Little Drummer Girl (11/19), AMC
10:00pm - The Good Doctor (9/24), ABC

  • I'm not all that enamored with the two medical shows on Monday night, but I'm intrigued enough to see where they go after last season.  I might be dropping them soon though.  I'm into The Resident and never watched The Good Doctor.  There were four built up on my Tivo and I realized I didn't really care, so I deleted them.  The Resident is okay--there's another bad guy this season and I'm sure our heroes will save the day.  
  • I'm also not all that enthused about The Neighborhood and Happy Together, but I like the cast and will give them a try.  The Neighborhood has Cedric the Entertainer and Max Greenfield.  Happy Together has Damon Wayans, Jr.  Again, I was right to be skeptical.  These shows were TERRIBLE.  Not funny.  Happy Together had the most preposterous storyline....a pop superstar gets into some bad publicity and so moves in with...his accountant and the accountant's wife?!  His excuse is that he likes their simple life, but doesn't he have enough money to figure out a different solution?!  Ridiculous.  The Neighborhood just tries too hard. 
  • The way this is looking, it could wind up that I'm not watching anything on Mondays until November 19.  The Little Drummer Girl is based on a John Le Carre book, and is done by the team that did The Night Manager.  I didn't watch The Night Manager, but I heard really good things about it.

Tuesday

8:30pm - The Kids Are Alright (10/16), ABC
9:00pm - Black-ish (10/16), ABC
9:00pm - This Is Us (9/25), NBC
9:30pm - Splitting Up Together (10/16), ABC
10:00pm - The Rookie (10/16), ABC
10:00pm - New Amsterdam (9/25), NBC
11:00pm - Mr. Inbetween (9/25), FX
  • The Kids Are Alright stars Mary McCormack.  I loved her on In Plain Sight several years ago.  This show takes place in the 70s.
  • I added The Rookie to the list because Entertainment Weekly recommended it.
  • Mr. Inbetween is another EW recommendation.  There are only six 30-minute episodes--it's about an assassin and his family life.  This was my favorite show and biggest surprise of the new season.  I loved it and was thrilled to see it was renewed for a second season.

Wednesday

8:00pm - The Goldbergs (9/26), ABC
8:30pm - American Housewife (9/26), ABC
9:00pm - Modern Family (9/26), ABC
9:00pm - All American (10/10), The CW
9:30pm - Single Parents (9/26), ABC
10:00pm - A Million Little Things (9/26), ABC
  • Looks like it'll be a big ABC night in my household.  I tried American Housewife before and couldn't really get into it, but am going to try again based on a friend's recommendation.  It's nestled between all these other shows I watch, so I may as well.  I still don't like American Housewife, so it's gone.  
  • A Million Little Things looks like The Big Chill.  I'm watching because of James Roday from PsychIt's pretty good.  I like it well enough.
  • All American was another EW recommendation.  Taye Diggs is in it.  About a football player from "the hood" is recruited to play football in an upper echelon high school.

Thursday

8:00pm - Grey's Anatomy (9/27), ABC
8:00pm - Superstore (10/4), NBC
8:30pm - Young Sheldon (9/24*), CBS
8:30pm - The Good Place (9/27*), NBC
9:00pm - Will & Grace (10/4), NBC
9:30pm - I Feel Bad (10/4), NBC
  • The Good Place is the show I'm most looking forward to this season.  I love that show!  It's premiering this Thursday from 8pm-9pm, but will usually air on Thursdays at 8:30pm.  
  • Young Sheldon usually airs on Thursdays at 8:30, but will be premiering on Monday the 24th
  • The commercials for I Feel Bad look really funny.  This is the new show that I'm most looking forward to.  If Mr. Inbetween was the biggest surprise, this is the biggest disappointment.  Really not funny at all.

Friday

8:30pm - Speechless (10/5), ABC
8:30pm - The Cool Kids (9/28), FOX
  • I really hate that they moved Speechless to Fridays.  I really like this show.
  • The Cool Kids was recommended by EW.  Vicki Lawrence!  
  • I'm enjoying both of these shows.  I don't think they'll win any Emmys, but they're fun.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Thanks for the update! I've stopped watching A LOT of shows this year. If I don't LOVE it, I'm not watching. So I no longer watch black-ish. I have a ton of Modern Familys stored up so I may delete and stop watching those. And the big one...I may stop This is Us. I have a hard time because of FOMO. Fear of Missing Out on the water cooler chatter. Everyone loves this show but I think it's time for me to "be out!" We'll see.

Allyssa said...

Lachlan wants us to record "God Friended Me"...he saw a preview, I guess. We don't have Showtime at the moment, so we're behind on Shameless and Ray Donovan. I caught up on Insecure, the Good Place, Black-ish, Modern Family, and Splitting Up Together (my new favorite show). And Sunday nights are spent watching The Walking Dead. Lately its been lots of sports, but I'm happy that the World Series is over!

Valerie said...

Deb, keep us posted on if you give up This Is Us, and whether everyone shuns you at work as a result. I'm still enjoying it, but admittedly haven't cried recently. I used to cry at every show.

Allyssa, I really like the guy who stars in God Friended Me. He's got a winning smile and his charm just makes the show. I think it'd be good family viewing. Ray Donovan just started this week--I haven't seen it yet, but I'm concerned that the show is taking place in Boston (or is it New York) this season and that Ray might not be wearing his Armani suits! Shameless has been really good this season--maybe one of their best seasons. That's the show that's made me cry a few times. I don't watch The Walking Dead, but two of my coworkers do, and one of them has given it up. Are you still enjoying it? Oh, and I also love Splitting Up Together!