Pages

10.25.2019

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives RevealedMaybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed by Lori Gottlieb

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


3.5 stars, really. This was an interesting look at therapy and I enjoyed reading about a therapist's own experience with going to a therapist for herself. I was very touched by her sessions with Julie. Thanks to patient/doctor confidentiality requirements, the book says that she got signed permission from patients, masked their identities, and put the characteristics of several different people into one. So, then how real was Julia's storyline? Some parts of the book dragged for me--it's probably a bit longer than it needs to be.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I didn't LOVE it.

p.s.  For another good look at a therapist talking to a therapist, I recommend Showtime's Couples Therapy.  I'm not sure why people would allow their very personal therapy sessions to be shown on TV, and I often feel like a voyeur watching, but it's really interesting to see the process in progress. 

No comments: