Pages

3.23.2019

Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West

Shrill: Notes from a Loud WomanShrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 stars. I read this in anticipation of the Hulu series inspired by it. There are some essays I'd give 5 stars to, and other I didn't like as much, so for me it averaged out to 3.5 stars. She's a great writer and offers many thought-provoking points of view on various topics. The chapters about her exchange with Dan Savage and then her experience with stand-up comedy were most interesting (and troubling and infuriating). I had to admire how she persevered through it all.

I just finished the Hulu series, which I really enjoyed.  There were only six episodes.  The last episode about the troll that she talked to in person was better handled in the book, but it still drove home a point.

No comments: