Pages

6.01.2018

I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State KillerI'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow. This book is chilling and haunting. I alternated between the Kindle version and the audio version and the I think the audio was more chilling....something about the narrator's voice. The book is very well-written and fascinating. So many adjectives. I didn't know anything about the Golden State Killer, but now he'll always be on my mind until he's caught. It's interesting to read about Michelle's process and obsession with this case. It's so sad that she passed away before the book was completed, but her editors, husband and researchers did a great job putting the final product together.

***Possible spoiler***
The final chapter of the book is a letter to the killer from the author.  The book suggests that he followed the news reports of his crimes and altered some of his tactics accordingly.  I can't help but think that if he's still alive, he'll definitely read this book.  And then he'll read Michelle's words directed at him.  That thought gives me chills.

***Update***
Oops!  I wrote everything above on March 30, 2018 and just realized I never published it.  As you've probably heard, an arrest has been made in this case.  As soon as I heard, I went back and listened to that final letter from Michelle to the killer.  It still gives me chills and it seemed to have happened just as she predicted.

1 comment:

kerriari said...

not reading the spoilers but just checking in on your blog and saw your mention of this book, which i was LOVING, but had to get to another one on a time limit. i look forward to getting to this one later- it's only kindle.