Pages

4.06.2018

Above Us Only SkyAbove Us Only Sky by Michele Young-Stone

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have mixed emotions about this book. There is some beautiful writing and some moments that moved me to tears. At the same time, there are parts that are confusing (the book is written from so many points of view and over multiple time periods) and it felt quite messy. There were some plot points that seemed unnecessary and left me unfulfilled.

***SPOILERS!!!***
Some examples of what I didn't care for or left me wanting:

  • Did Daina ever tell Stasys what she saw from the closet that day? 
  • Daina and Stasys' daughter just seemed like an afterthought.  What did she think about her mother having wings?  
  • Other than what Olga did to Daina, I didn't see the point of learning so much of her life story.
  • What was the deal with Wheaton?!  Why could he see Prudence's wings?  I didn't feel his character was well enough developed.
  • I wish there was some folklore or something that described these women born with wings.  It didn't seem like the wings really served any purpose to the story.  The women weren't magical; the wings were just.....there. 

Some examples of what I didn't care for or left me wanting:
* Did Daina ever tell Stasys what she saw from the closet that day?
* Daina and Stasys' daughter just seemed like an afterthought. What did she think about her mother having wings?
* Other than what Olga did to Daina, I didn't see the point of learning so much of her life story.
* What was the deal with Wheaton?! I didn't feel his character was well enough developed.
* I wish there was some folklore or something that described these women born with wings. It didn't seem like the wings served any purpose to the story. The women weren't magical; the wings were just.....there.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

kerriari said...

damn! i wish i had read this more recently- now i've sorta forgotten the book. i agree tho that the writing was beautiful but it seemed a little messy and disjointed-- AND i was reading it during a distracted time.