Pages

4.02.2017

The sounds of Big Little Lies

Tonight is the finale of HBO's Big Little Lies.  I've really enjoyed this show and can't wait to find out who got killed and who's the killer.  At this point, I honestly have no idea.  They've done a really good job of making you believe it could be anyone and that everyone is under suspicion.   I never read the book, and I'm glad I didn't because I've enjoyed how this showed has laid out the mystery with the snarky police interviews with the other parents at the school and the glimpses into the messed up lives of the three main characters.  I'm really looking forward to the finale.

The other thing I've REALLY enjoyed about the show is the fantastic soundtrack.  I love that Reese Witherspoon's daughter on the show is so into music and listens to these obscure, haunting, soulful songs.  A couple weeks ago, I checked iTunes to see if the soundtrack was available, and lo and behold, discovered it was coming out on March 31.  I just downloaded it and look forward to listening.  It seems like one of those albums you'd put on for quiet times or maybe when you're feeling melancholy.  I don't think it's something you'd put on to cheer you up.  Hopefully it won't have the opposite effect and depress me though!  I don't think it will, but I do think it will help when you're in a reflective mood.  I'll let you know.



In other news, but related to the show, in one episode of Big Little Lies, the moms were taking their kids to an ice show and on the car ride, they put on Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams."  I like that song a lot, and it reminds me of being a young kid, hearing it in the car.  My parents didn't listen to Fleetwood Mac, so I only would hear it in the car or at other people's homes.  I think it was around 6th grade when I realized the music I grew up with was very different than the music my white friends grew up with.  One day we had indoor recess due to bad weather, and someone came up with the idea to name all the bands we could think of--or it may have been all the songs.  There were several black kids in my class, but I realized a lot of names I mentioned, the other kids had never heard of...names like Lou Rawls, Bobby Womack, Teddy Pendergrass...and it was likewise for the names the other kids were mentioning...I can't think of anything in particular right now, maybe Loggins and Messina or Don Henley, something like that.  People I hadn't seen on American Bandstand.  (When I was in my 20s, my boss mentioned Loggins and Messina and was incredulous that I'd never heard of them.   Well, I'd heard of Kenny Loggins thanks to Footloose, but not Messina.  My sister had a similar experience, I think, when her boss was incredulous that we didn't grow up listening to Springsteen.  If I had forethought, I would've retorted, well, what to do you know about Regina Bell or Jeffrey Osborne or Donny Hathway?!)  ANYWAY, I digress.

What I was going to say was that as they were listening to "Dreams" on Big Little Lies, it got me thinking, do black people listen to Fleetwood Mac? So I googled it, and came across a great blog post (that has since been eleted) that talked about this theme of "black music" and "white music" and how there are indeed black people out there who like "white music."  I thought it was a great post, and as soon as I finished reading it, I download Fleetwood Mac's greatest hits.  I generally like most music and hate that it has to be labeled as black or white.  If music is good, and has a good bass line, or a good drum beat, or is soulful, or bluesy, or you can dance to it, or croon to it in the shower, I'll like it.  I don't care who the artist is and whether they're black or white. 

UPDATE:  I don't know how I never realized this before, but during the ending credits of the finale I saw that David E. Kelley was executive producer.  Well, no wonder the music was so good.  He has a knack for that--I always remember it from Ally McBeal. 

And that finale? Whoa.  Great show!  So well done.  I look forward to Emmy noms for everyone.  The women's acting category will be tough this year, because I'm also expecting noms for Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon for Feud, which I caught up on over the weekend.  Especially Susan Sarandon.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

i LOVE the songs too and i'm so happy to read that there is a soundtrack.

i was gonna text you earlier to see if you watched it yet- i DVRed, but haven't watched yet b/c we went to a comedy club that had a hynotist!! i went on stage. im writing about it on my blog now, but i'll just say this: i was asked to go back to my seat and got kicked off the show. ;)

anway, we'll be watching the finale tonight. every time nicole is on, i'm just in awe by how pretty she is.

oh, and altho i DID read the book when it first came out, i remember some things, but not all of it and i can't even totally remember how it ends. ha! so, it hasn't ruined it for me at all. that's what reading so many books does to me. unless it's REALLY a stand out and unlike anything i've ever read, it blends in with the others and eventually fades from my memory. usually that bugs me, but in this case, it's a great thing! ;)