4.16.2017

Mission: Tackle the TBR list

I came across this blog the other day about an approach to whittling down a "To Be Read" list of books.  I have an ongoing problem of buying books but never reading them.  I get distracted by new books and feeling like I need to read them right then and there, so I set aside whatever I was reading at the time (or what I was intending to read next) and then never go back to the original book because something else comes along.

In this blogger's approach, she only allows herself to bring in one new book for every two books of her own that she read.  Two out, one in.  I like this idea.  She set up some rules for herself and I'm adopting two of hers for myself:

  1. Rereads don't count.  I don't often re-read books but I do from time to time and these won't count for my "out" list. (It's almost time to read To Kill a Mockingbird again.)
  2. Books that are given to me as gifts don't count toward my "in" list.  As the original writer says, I can't help if people want to shower me with books.
  3. This one I'm adding -- books can include those on my shelves, those on Audible, and those on my Kindle.

The blogger uses a bullet journal to keep track of her books.  If you haven't clicked to go see the original post, her journal looks like this:

OUT: 
OUT: 
IN:

OUT:
OUT:
IN:

etc.

Then she fills in the books accordingly.  I'm going to keep a similar journal here on my blog.  As I just finished a book that had been on my shelf for quite a while, I'm starting there.  Another goal of this endeavor is to clear my bookshelves so that I'm only keeping books I love and I want all of my books to fit on the shelves I have, without having to expand to new shelves.    Here's where I'm starting:




I don't like how I have books in front of others, or books sitting on top of others.  I want this shelf to be orderly and I have a lot of work ahead of me.  Looking at these photos, I have a few other rules to add:

  1. I'm not going to read The Bible. 
  2. I'm also not including instructional books like the ones I have for photography. 
I also have a bad habit of starting challenges and not finishing them, so we'll see how this goes.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

This sounds complicated. Good luck!

kerriari said...

well, i'm such a library nerd, i don't really have this problem. when i buy books, it's USUALLY on my kindle/ipad or audible. i'm horribly about not finishing the audibles. i get distracted by other audibles, or even more so, podcasts, which aren't the same kind of time investment. anyway, for a minute i was only allowing myself one library book check out at a time- but i didn't stick with it. i have books piled around me, but they're library books. i don't know what it is about the need to have books surrounding me. anyway, good luck with your little in out out project. can't wait to hear how that goes.