8.17.2016

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

A Man Called OveA Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I adored this story about Ove, a grumpy man, and the people that invaded his life. It's so charming and funny and sweet. I laughed out loud many times, and also had a few tears. There's such beautiful and thoughtful language:

One of the most painful moments in a person's life probably comes with the insight that an age has been reached when there is more to look back on than ahead. And when time no longer lies ahead of one, other things have to be lived for. Memories perhaps. Afternoons in the sun with someone's hand clutched in one's own. The fragrance of flowerbeds in fresh bloom. Sundays in a café. Grandchildren perhaps. One finds a way of living for the sake of someone else's future.

This was my favorite quote:

People said Ove saw the world in black and white. But she was color. All the color he had.

I simply loved this book.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Kerri said...

i've heard about this one, but was a little reluctant b/c i usually don't like the grumpy man stories.... but i'll now add it to my official list.