6.19.2016

Man. Season 4, Orange is the New Black (SPOILERS!!)

Warning--this post has SPOILERS!!!!!

I watched Season 4 of Orange is the New Black this weekend, and as someone said on Twitter, it was both deeply disturbing but also the best season yet.  I agree whole-heartedly.

Around episode 11, I texted my friend Alicia saying, "I've never been so infuriated with the show.  Not because there's anything wrong with it at all, but because of the plot lines."  After I confirmed that she was watching, I wrote, "These new guards are KILLING ME!  So much abuse and the ladies taking all that abuse are not able to say anything.  I want to smack Caputo in the head.  I had this same feeling when I read the book."  Alicia wrote back:  "Watching this is so uncomfortable.  The abuse of power is especially terrifying, since it's probably pretty realistic."

At the end of last season, the old corrections officers walked off the job.  This season they were replaced with militarized guards who had serious issues with abuse of power.  Abuse of power was a big theme in the book as well, and it's infuriating to read, because the inmates are people too, and I think that thought gets lost in the correctional system.

When I was watching the final episode, I was literally on the edge of my seat, screaming at the TV and covering my mouth with my hands in anticipation.  It was INTENSE.  Alicia wrote: "I just finished this season" with what I would call an "OMG" emoji.  I wrote back and said, "Me too!  Just now!  Holy fuck! (Pardon my French!)"  I later said, "Oh my god.  My heart is still pounding.  I'm all cried out from Poussey's death.  All the feelings!  Oh my god."

Alicia said the season did a good job of showing that there are good people and bad people.  On both sides--the guards and the prisoners.  I told her, "Wow.  What writing.  So many of those ladies deserve acting awards.  Alex contemplating what she did.  Taystee when Poussey died.  Pennsatucky.  Piper during the branding.  Holy shit. There was so much."

Then I added, "My head hurts from crying.  I was seriously sobbing when Poussey died.  I don't usually react to TV like that.  Goodness."

Alicia said, "Goodness.  I can't even process how emotion this season was."  I said, "I know!  Oh my god!  When Diaz picked up that gun, I was screaming in my house.  By myself.  Nooooooooo!!!!   Oh man."

So there you have it.  My reaction to Season 4.  I cannot wait until Season 5.  What did Diaz do?!?!?!

UPDATE (6/21/16) - I opened up a Vanity Fair article and just this photo of Taystee and her grief made me tear up.  The photo alone should garner Danielle Brooks an Emmy award.

No comments: