5.24.2016

Feeling old with the Billboard Music Awards

I recorded the awards so I could see Madonna's tribute to Prince.  I saw that it was panned pretty badly in the reviews the next day.  But, I wanted to see it anyway.  I also like what Questlove had to say:  
So I know there is gonna be A LOT of ‘feel a certain ways’ about who you want to see do his music justice – but you gotta put that aside y’all....Every Prince rendition will not be a life changing orgasmic [experience]. Just to SING his work is brave enough. Again feeling are on high, and EVERYBODY wants and deserves a chance to say goodbye in their own way. But remember: there will be AMAs, SoulTrain, NAACP, mtv, GRAMMYS, and a gazillion other tributes. But the point is let’s not get ugly with playing the ‘Prince would and wouldn’t approve’ game.

I admit, I wasn't thrilled at first to hear Madonna was doing the tribute, but the more I thought about it, why shouldn't she?  She, Michael Jackson and Prince were all born in the same year.  Prince was a friend of hers. She's from his era.  She knows his music.  It makes more sense than some up and comer doing a tribute, who wasn't even born when Purple Rain came out.


As I write this, I haven't see the performance yet, because I started watching all the performances before hand.  I was sending my sister some texts along the way.  Here's our brief conversation (can I make this feel like a text conversation?  I'm the one on the right...)

Britney's lip syncing is TERRIBLE.
Gotta admit:  I like Bieber's song, Sorry.

Be sure not to FFW past DNCE and Lukas Graham.  
I like both.

Just saw DNCE.  Don't know who Lukas Graham is.
Does he have curly hair?

Yes.  They are danish.

Oh yeah.  They were good.
Was in the kitchen and didn't hear intro.

Ke$ha was good.  If I didn't hear it was her, 
I wouldn't have known.

I FFW.  Too weird to look at.

Her lips are out of control.

Yasssss!

You can tell Sidney I like the song
Rihanna sang. [Love on the Brain] 
They used it on gray's anatomy too.

Haha!  I'll tell her. 

Eh.  It's close enough you get the idea.  And that's actually what brought me to this post.  Several months ago, Deb and I were chatting about Rihanna's new album, ANTI.  It went like this:

Listen to rihanna's james joint. I cant place what 
song she's sampling.  

Hmm...I don't recognize anything from
Rihanna's song.  I also thought it was terrible. 
Is that just me and/or is it my age? 

Haha! Sidney LOVES her new album. 
She suggests u listen to Higher. 

Why is Rihanna so concerned with pot?  I listened to higher.
No me gusta. It sounds like she's trying too hard and is going
to give herself laryngitis. So far, I'm anti her ANTI album.

You're cracking us up!

Do you like what you've heard?

I liked a couple of songs but not loving it like sidney.

kids today!  😊  i feel old. 

Also, note that Sidney and my sister are only a few years younger than me, but still...I'm getting more and more out of touch.  

Anyway, during that little listening experiment, I never got around to Love on the Brain.  I heard the song during Gray's and loved it, looked up the lyrics, and lo and behold--it was from the ANTI album!  Who knew?  I love the bluesy grittiness of that song and Rihanna sang her heart out on the Billboard awards.  I watched it twice.  She looked great too.  Kudos to her.  

 Some other comments that I didn't text Deb:

Isn't Pink tired of flying around above the audience?  Time for a new trick.  I liked her new song though.

Seal presented something.  I don't know what....I wasn't paying that close attention.  But, what I did notice is that they showed Heidi in the audience earlier.  I wonder if they're friendly with each other.

Oh, Seal presented a tribute to Celine Dion.  I fast forwarded through her performance--I have to get ready for bed soon.

The Go Go's!  Shit!  Belinda Carlisle is 57 years old?!  (Looked it up.)  She looks amazing.

Drake was nominated for something but Rihanna won whatever it was.  It reminded me that while I don't really care for Drake's music, he's a pretty funny dude and I enjoyed him hosting SNL a couple weeks ago.

 Madonna sang Nothing Compares 2 U.  I thought it was a fine tribute.  She didn't make it about her.  It was understated and it seemed heartfelt  I got a little teary during short photo montage of Prince.  I still can't believe he's gone.

And then Stevie Wonder came out and the two of them sang Purple Rain.  Along with the whole audience.  I didn't find anything wrong with the tribute at all.

Ok, gotta go to bed.  Even though BET threw shade (look at me keeping up with the lingo!) at the Billboard tribute, I do look forward to whatever tribute they do on the BET awards.  I'll also be going to a tribute to Prince on his birthday, June 7.  DJ Dredd, a local DJ that we love, is hosting it.  He holds Michael Jackson, Prince, and Madonna parties all the time.  We went to a MJ party a few years ago and it was a lot of fun.  This one will be all Prince.  Looking forward to it.

No comments: