4.18.2016

Thanks for the surprise, iPod!

I have a LOT of music on my iPod touch.  I'm not at home right now so I can't check the exact numbers, but I have a vague memory of seeing at some point I had more than 2500 songs on the iPod.

There are plenty of albums on there that I rarely listen to.  How could I get to them all?!  As a result, when I use iTunes' "Genius Lists," I often find myself surprised by what comes up.  (For those who don't know, iTunes has a feature where you pick a song, and then it will create a playlist of similar songs from the rest of your music library.)

This morning, I created a Genius List from The Commodores' song "Oh No*."



I then settled in to my seat on the Metro (subway), closed my eyes, and listened.  After a few songs, I was completely surprised to hear, "Islands in the Stream."  But it wasn't Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton.  I was thinking, "I have this song on my iPod?!" and "Who's singing?!"  I opened my eyes, pulled out the iPod and discovered it was the BEE GEES!  The Bee Gees?!?!  And it was an album cover I didn't even recognize:



When did I buy that? I don't even remember. And apparently I had never listened to the whole thing, or just forgot that they did "Islands in the Stream." I had no idea. (I have to admit, I've always liked Kenny and Dolly's version of the song.) This was a pleasant surprise.

*For what it's worth, I remember the song "Oh No" from the movie "The Last American Virgin."  As I was listening to that song this morning, I was also reminiscing about seeing that movie with my best friend when we were about 13 or 14 years old.  We had rented it on VHS from Erol's video store, which was our store long before Blockbuster arrived.  Then I started wondering, how did we slip that movie past my mom?!  She would've had to be the one renting it.  It seems totally inappropriate for two 13/14-year-olds to be watching a movie about a geeky kid trying to lose his virginity.  Hmmm....I'm going to have to ask my mom about this!  Anyway, I remember the kid being upset, driving in the car, and listening to "Oh No."  I think he had tears streaming down his face. And I, meanwhile, fell in love with the song.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

i did NOT know of this "genius" feature but i'm excited to try it! i can't imagine the beegees version of "islands in the stream"!! wow. did they write it?

Valerie said...

Turns out, the Bee Gees did write it! Who knew?!