4.15.2016

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Breakfast of ChampionsBreakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I gave this 3 out of 5 stars...for now. I finished reading it four days ago and it's been on my mind ever since. I don't know if I liked it or not, but I figure the fact that it stayed on my mind has to count for something. It's such a weird book. Parts were outlandish...I was worried that someone might be looking over my shoulder when I was reading on the subway and came to one of his many drawings. I laughed at times. And I was confused and/or confounded at others.

Prior to reading this, my only experience with Vonnegut's writing was Slaughterhouse Five, which I did enjoy. I didn't walk away from that book feeling so conflicted.

I wish I had read this as part of an English class or book club, because it's the kind of thing that requires discussion. I insisted that a coworker read it so we can have a mini book club at work. If any big epiphanies come from that discussion, I reserve the right to change my rating.


View all my reviews

P.S.  I just noticed that my previous post, saying goodbye to American Idol, was my 1000th post.  Wow!  That seems fitting since so much of what I blogged about was Idol. 

2 comments:

Kerri said...

i've never heard of this book, and i'm not even familiar with that author. well, i agree-- if you're still thinking on it after a few days, that means SOMETHING! not that i EVER do, but i wonder if it's one of those books that would be even better with a second reading. but, if you're like me, we'll never know. so many books.... so little time! the only book i've read more than once is my all time favorite, a prayer for owen meany, by john irving.

thank you so much for the more frequent blog posts!!!! yay!! love them.

Valerie said...

Well thanks to you for reading and commenting! I'll have to read Owen Meany again some day--I started it before, but never finished it. I even saw it performed on stage, but never got back to it. I don't really have an excuse. Shame on me.

I have several books that I've read multiple times--To Kill a Mockingbird (once every couple of years), The Godfather (maybe once every five years, or so), Are You There God It's Me Margaret (lots of times as a kid, once as an adult), The Outsiders (also once as an adult, but many, many times as a teen), In Cold Blood (just twice), The Great Gatsby (twice)....I'm sure there are others, but these are off the top of my head.