12.18.2015

The Weary Blues by Langston Hughes

The Weary BluesThe Weary Blues by Langston Hughes

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I selected this to read as part of a reading challenge for 2015...one of the challenges was to read a book of poetry. I don't know much about poetry, and because there wasn't much diversity among the authors for the challenge, I decided to read Langston Hughes. I'm glad I did. Like I said, I don't know much about poetry, but so many of the words in these poems moved me. And it's striking (and sad) how many of the same words published in 1926 could still be written by a young Black man in today's day and age.

As I was reading, I came across this video on YouTube of Langston Hughes reciting "The Weary Blues" while accompanied by a jazz band. Very nice--I wish I could hear all the poems performed this way.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Allyssa said...

I'm going to put this on my to-read list!