12.22.2015

The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey

The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial FitnessThe Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As others have said, there's some useful information here, but too much preaching and proselytizing. He warned about that in the beginning, but I was still put off by how many Bible quotes there were in the book. There were also too many success stories and lots of build up to his actual plan. I kept thinking, "get to the point already!"

I'm already debt-free except for my mortgage. That's one of the main goals that Dave Ramsey suggests you achieve, so to me, this book was more about getting out of debt. He also suggests cutting up all your credit cards and paying for things with cash. If you save money and make big purchases in cash, then your FICO score doesn't really matter much, and it's okay if your credit score takes a hit. I don't buy that. I worked hard to pay off my debt and get a high credit score and now I'm disciplined in how I spend my money and I pay my one credit card off each month.

I'm looking more for more information on investing and how to make your money work for you, and although it's discussed in this book, in my opinion, he too quickly glossed over that aspect of personal money management.

View all my reviews

No comments: