11.27.2015

The Story of the Lost Child by Elena Ferrante

The Story of the Lost Child (Neapolitan Novels, #4)The Story of the Lost Child by Elena Ferrante

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Of the four books in the series, this was my least favorite. It dragged in parts and I found myself skimming quite a bit toward the end. Still, I enjoyed reading the finale to the story even though the ending left me wanting to know even more. I never wrote reviews of the previous three books because I had such mixed feelings about them and couldn't put my thoughts into words. I loved the writing, I loved seeing how the friendship between Lina and Lenu evolved over time, and how the author demonstrated so distinctly how these two brought out the best AND worst in each other. I also learned a lot about Naples and about Italian politics, which I found interesting. What I didn't like is that there really wasn't a single character (of the oh-so-many characters in the book) that was likable. I liked Lenu's husband, Pietro, but was really just pulling for him to get away from her. I typically like to have someone to root for in a book, but here, I just read to see what happened next. Elena Ferrante is very good at keeping the reader wanting more.



View all my reviews

No comments: