9.29.2015

Eh, it's Fall TV Season

Usually, this is one of my most favorite times of year.  I love TV and I love finding new shows to watch and trying to decide my schedule.  I know I watch too much of TV, and I watch a lot of it that just isn't good.  But it's a guilty pleasure and I enjoy it.

This year though, I'm not so enthused.  For one thing, I started a new job in June that increased my one-way commute time by 40-45 minutes, and at the same time, has seriously cut into my TV-watching time because I have to get to bed earlier, and I'm missing out on at least 2 hours of time during which I used to watch TV in the evenings.  In addition, a lot of shows that I previously watched ended last season (Mad Men, Revenge, Nurse Jackie, Cougar Town, Parks &Recreation, Boardwalk Empire...), so that automatically (and thankfully) decreased my viewing schedule by quite a lot.  And finally, since I wasn't all too thrilled about any of the new shows starting this season, I've only added 4 new shows to my schedule, shown in bold italics:


Now, for someone who doesn't know me, or who might be new to my blog, I realize this still looks like a lot of TV to watch, but compare that to last year's Fall schedule. There's a lot more white space this year.  And honestly, these shows, old and new, better be good, because I will drop them if they're not.  I just don't have time for all of this any more.  (In the next year or so, I might put my house on the market and move closer to my job.  If that happens, maybe next year will be different and things can get back to normal!)

A few comments about the new shows:

Grandfathered with John Stamos looks cute, but I'm not expecting a lot.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.  I guess I actually am a bit excited to see Fred Savage on TV again in The Grinder.  The Washington Post gave it a pretty good review, so there's hope there.  Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has a musical element to it, which reminds me of a show I used to love, Eli Stone, so I decided to give it a try.  And finally, I started watching Jane the Virgin on Hulu over the summer and really like it. so I'm adding it to the schedule.  That one is just new•ish.

Other comments:  I'm on the fence about Amazing Race.  I recorded all of last season, but never watched it.  When I realized I didn't miss it, I deleted them all.  I think sometimes I just need a break.  I'll watch the first few shows this season to see if there's anyone I want to root for.  I've given up on American Horror Story.  I enjoyed the 1st and 3rd seasons, but it's just too hit or miss for me, and I don't have the time to waste on it.  Major Crimes is another one I'm on the fence about.  I was ready to give it up last time, but the mini summer season was pretty good, so we'll try again.  The Wednesday night ABC line up got off to a great start with all the comedies, especially black•ish which is just so cleverly written and full of talent  Nashville, though.  Not so much.  I may end up dropping that one pretty soon.  I considered watching The Voice, but again, I haven't missed it, AND it's too much of a time hog.  If anyone IS watching and a guy named Dijon (like the mustard--those were his words) makes it, please let me know.  We saw him singing on the High Line in NYC over the summer, and chatted with him for a few minutes before he was on his way to audition for the show.  Oh, and the Mindy Project moved to HuluPlus.  My friend and I watched the first episode.  I wasn't impressed, so I'm done with that one.  (I wasn't too thrilled with it last season anyway.)

That's it!  I wish I could be more enthusiastic about all this, but I'm just not feeling it.  We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I want to watch the fred savage one and the john stamos one too- were they on last night?!?! if so, DAMN! i missed them.

I thought about watching the Voice, but like you... no, it's too big of a time hog. AND it's just not as exciting after a while. when i didn't know exactly how they did it, the first season, that was the best. no it's same show, different singers, so i'm not that interested.

so for me, i'm excited that "the affair" just started back up, also "homeland" and "the good wife"- super excited to see the new love interest for her FINALLY- and it's that super cute guy who was denny on gray's anatomy. but i've lost my love for that show since will died... maybe this will revive it. i have all 3 of those DVRed but haven't watched yet. do you watch any of those?

well,sounds like your tv watching time had to be trimmed down anyway...
let me know what you think of the grinder and the hot grandfather show!

Ms. Movie said...

So excited to hear your line up for Fall! I must admit, I keep my watching and expectations low because I just don't have the time. Netflix, however, is another story. I have a list a mile long.

Sunday - Once (obviously), Blood and Oil (this is cheesy, but actually pretty entertaining), and Quantico (really good, love the diverse cast)
Monday - Gotham (though through a series of unfortunate events, I have been missing bits and pieces and having to catch up online)
Tuesday - Wanted to start watching The Grinder and Grandfathered, alas, I have not seen any of them
Wednesday - Empire (guiltiest pleasure of them all)
Thursday - How to...Murder (LOVE THIS SHOW)

How do you feel about Barbara turning Crazy Pants on Gotham? And how do you feel about Andre's mental illness on Empire?

Valerie said...

Ms. Movie--sorry it's taken so long to respond! I'm way behind on Gotham and was thinking of dropping it--do you think I should? (I have them all recorded on my Tivo.) Barbara's an interesting twist for sure! And Empire--I've been feeling a little disappointed this season...can't put my finger on why. BUT, on this week's show, I loved that song: Boom Boom Boom Boom! Bang Bang Bang Bang! It's the only song I've downloaded from the show. Maybe it's enough to keep me watching a bit more. :o)

We're agreed on How to...Murder. The Grinder is great. Grandfathered, not so much--it's cute, but I don't love it. I love The Grinder. It's my favorite new show. Hope all is well with you!

(Just in case there's anyone reading who wonders why I totally ignored Kerri's comment--don't worry. We chatted offline about stuff. I'm not rude like that. Just really LATE in responding.) :)