6.27.2015

Dope (the movie)

I saw Dope yesterday...I wanted to see it strictly based on a poster I'd seen for it:


I had no idea what it was about. Before I went into the theater, I sent a text to my sister to let her know I'd be out of touch for a while. She asked "Which movie is that?" and I wrote, "I don't know what happens exactly, but it's about black kids in the 80s."

Well, I was WAY off on that.

First of all, not all of the kids are Black. Second, it actually takes place in current times. However, the three characters in the poster define themselves as 90s (not 80s) "hip-hop geeks," hence the main character's high-top fade and the kids' style of dress. There's a lot going on, but essentially, the kids get into some shenanigans after a drug deal gone wrong. It's clever and a fun movie to watch. Zoe Kravitz is in it and looks JUST like her mom, Lisa Bonet. Little too much use of the N-word in this movie. (It's used in the familiar way ending with -a versus -er, the way they do in hip-hop culture, but it was still too much. I'm also possibly just a little sensitive about it right now in the wake of all that's going on after Charleston.) Still, it's an enjoyable movie that I do recommend. Stay for the dance moves during the credits.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

that's funny when you go into a movie thinking it's about one thing, and it's more about something else...oh well. i'm glad you liked it anyway.

me and a friend just got home from magic mike. lol. so funny. i had to know what all the hype was about. i had never seen the first one. but i watched it last night and then we went to this one today. and now i'm totally ready for the 3rd installment! HA

have a great weekend!