4.21.2015

Quick catch up

One of my two loyal readers made note of the fact that I haven't posted anything since the Oscars and demanded, (demanded, I tell you!) that I post something new. This is for you -- you know who you are! ;o)

Okay let's see...what's going on?

Let's start with books--I'm way behind in my reading challenges, but I'm working on them.  I just finished and really enjoyed The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.  It was a quick read that everyone keeps comparing to Gone Girl, but it was so much better.  I personally couldn't predict all the twists and turns, which always makes things fun.  

I'm currently reading All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.  I'm only about 50 pages in, but so far, so good.



Next, movies.  Hmm, not much to report here.  I haven't been to the movies in a while.  There's nothing out there that I'm DYING to see.  Maybe I'll get myself to the theater this weekend....I do want to see When We're Young.  Oh, and this talk about movies reminds me...I recently finished reading John Green's Paper Towns because I saw it's coming out as a movie soon.  I didn't love the book, but I have a feeling it might be better as a movie.  We'll see. 

TVMad Men's back. (Yay!) almost over.  (Boo.)  Revenge is almost over.  (Yay!)  (This show should've ended 3 years ago.)  I keep watching because I'm a glutton for punishment and I just want to see how it ends.  But, it's so bad.  I know this.  In newer TV I'm enjoying Secrets & Lies and American CrimeVeep is still hilarious.  Nurse Jackie's been good too.  I'm also watching Younger on TV Land about a 40-year old posing as twentysomething to get back into the workforce after a divorce.  This show cracks me up because I can relate.  Not in the fact that I'm pretending to be 26, but because one of my good friends at work is 25.  Since she's an old soul, I often forget how young she is, until I mention some TV show from the 80s and she has no idea what I'm talking about.  Ouch, that hurts!  The other day, I had myself convinced that I was under 40.  Not only am I not under 40, I'm almost halfway THROUGH my 40s.  What the hell?  Ay yi yi - the tricks the mind can play!

Edit:  I forgot to add a couple of shows that I love:  Fresh Off the Boat and The Goldbergs. Love them!  And blackish...those twins kill me. 


Music:   I've noticed recently that I can still listen to Uptown Funk over and over and over and over again every day.  I don't think I'll ever get tired of that song.  In other news, a couple weeks ago, my sister, some friends, and I went to see Stevie Wonder in concert.  It was a good show--I wasn't familiar with all the songs, but he sounded great, and he's a funny man.  The only problem with the show was that it was quite long (3.5 hours including intermission) and we saw it on a rainy school night.  And even in that 3.5 hours, there were so many songs I wanted to hear that he didn't sing.  The thing is, the show was based on his Songs in the Key of Life album, so while he sang Sir Duke, Isn't She Lovely, and I Wish, I really wanted to hear Ribbon in the Sky, Overjoyed, and even One Little Christmas Tree (yes, even though it was April.)  To that end, enjoy these:




Hmm...just noticed that whoever posted that Ribbon in the Sky video posted it from a Betamax tape.  I know my 25-year-old friend at work has no idea what that is....

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I liked the girl on the train too, but looked gone girl better. I kept mixing the girls up cb they were all sorta similar in their pathetic ways, and that bothered me a little.

I have to watch younger. Hadn't even heard of it but I'll look it used! Also, the gold bergs...sounded good when u had mentioned it. We have to discuss secrets and lies.!!! I'm watching too. Is Cornell driving u nuts? Did u see tonight's yet?

I'm soooo glad u wrote another post! And I'm not the only one be I wasn't the person u referenced!😋

Ms. Movie said...

Lol, glad to know there is a least one more person reading and posting (Hi Kerri!) I haven't read either of those books, but would like to. The most recent movie I saw was Furious 7 and it was amazing. Anxiously awaiting when I can go see Avengers. Don't spoil it for me here, please, please, please!

I'm still watching Once, though I've missed a few episodes. Gotham season finale is tomorrow (time is flying by), black-ish is sooo funny; Charlie keeps me in stitches. I think Cristela may have been cancelled...

Glad to see you writing again!

Valerie said...

Thanks Rebecca! No worries about Avengers--I probably won't see it. And do you know that I've never seen any of the Fast & Furious movies? Why start now, right?

I'm behind on Gotham--will catch up this weekend!