1. The show ran WAY too long. It's after midnight here on the east coast. Why didn't they start at 8pm instead of 8:30?
2. NPH should stick to the Tonys. That's his wheelhouse. I'd like to see Ellen or Ricky Gervais host again.
3. That being said, NPH's best joke was about Benedict Cumberbatch being what you hear when John Travolta introduces Ben Affleck.
4. Apparently I'm in the minority over the Lady Gaga performance. People on Twitter seemed to have loved it. She sounded great, but I just didn't get why it happened in the first place. Also, her gyrations made me uncomfortable, just as they did when she did the duet with Tony Bennett a couple weeks ago.
5. Yay Common and John Legend - I was moved by how many in the audience were moved to tears by their performance of "Glory."
Alright...time for bed. Let's do it again next year.
The Oscars are tonight! I'm looking forward to this year's show, especially with Neil Patrick Harris hosting. Here are my quick Oscar predictions of who I think should win, and who I think will win. Let's see how it goes. For what it's worth, I also italicized the movies that I just didn't have a chance to see. I wanted to see Still Alice this weekend, but our 3-5 inches of predicted snow turned into 9-10 inches and I'm in the house for the weekend.
Ok, here we go:
- American Sniper
- Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) WON
- Boyhood WILL
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- The Imitation Game
- The Theory of Everything
- Whiplash SHOULD
- Alejandro G. Iñárritu (Birdman) WON
- Richard Linklater (Boyhood) WILL / SHOULD
- Bennett Miller (Foxcatcher)
- Wes Anderson (The Grand Budapest Hotel)
- Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game)
- Steve Carell (Foxcatcher)
- Bradley Cooper (American Sniper)
- Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game)
- Michael Keaton (Birdman) WILL
- Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything) SHOULD / WON
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
- Robert Duvall (The Judge)
- Ethan Hawke (Boyhood)
- Edward Norton (Birdman)
- Mark Ruffalo (Foxcatcher)
- J.K. Simmons (Whiplash) WILL / SHOULD / WON
- Marion Cotillard (Two Days, One Night)
- Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything)
- Julianne Moore (Still Alice) WILL / SHOULD / WON
- Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl)
- Reese Witherspoon (Wild)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
- Patricia Arquette (Boyhood) WILL / SHOULD / WON
- Laura Dern (Wild)
- Keira Knightley (The Imitation Game)
- Emma Stone (Birdman)
- Meryl Streep (Into the Woods)
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
- American Sniper (Jason Hall) WILL
- The Imitation Game (Graham Moore) WON
- Inherent Vice (Paul Thomas Anderson)
- The Theory of Everything (Anthony McCarten)
- Whiplash (Damien Chazelle) SHOULD
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
- Birdman (Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr. & Armando Bo) WILL / SHOULD / WON
- Boyhood (Richard Linklater)
- Foxcatcher (E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman)
- The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson; Story by Wes Anderson & Hugo Guinness)
- Nightcrawler (Dan Gilroy)
Okay, so that's it. Let the festivities begin!