1.04.2015

What have I gotten myself into?

For the last several years, I've participated in the Goodreads Reading Challenge.  In 2014, my goal was to read 30 books.  I read 28--close but no cigar.  So, for 2015, I'm again making 30 books my goal.  That's challenge #1.

In addition, I have a problem with books. I often find myself saying, "I have that, but I haven't read it yet."  So, a few months ago, I decided that at least every other book I read in 2015 has to be something I already own.  Challenge #2!

And then, my friend Mark shared a challenge with me created by Kindred Digital Books.  At my first glance at the list, I told Mark that I'd be willing to give it a try, but that I wasn't sure I could do it all in one year.  We each also had some caveats--for example, I had no desire to read an author I loathe.  I figure I loathe them for a reason, why would I put myself through that?  I also felt the list was very white-male-centric, so we added the requirements to read a novel by a person of color (beyond Murakami) and to read a novel and a non-fiction by female authors.  Mark added the requirement to read a play and he removed the author specifications for horror novel, independently published, and the work from antiquity.  Mark and I also agreed that one book could cover more than one category. This will be challenge #3.

I'm going to keep track of all this on the Goodreads page (you can see the widget to the right) as well as on the tab above (2015 Reading Challenge).  I'll keep track of which books I read for the adapted Kindred challenge, and also make note of those books that I already have on my shelves.  

So, that's it for this year.  If anyone else would like to join in, let me know!  Like I said, reading all that in 2015 is pretty ambitious, so I might push some of that to 2016, but we'll see how it goes.

Happy reading!


2 comments:

Ms. Movie said...

I would love to join your challenge! Which will be ambitious for me since I'm already a part of a book club. Let me know what I need to do!

Valerie said...

Oh fun! Nothing you need to do do--just read along, and perhaps report your status here from time to time?