12.16.2014

Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming

Not My Father's SonNot My Father's Son by Alan Cumming

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm a big fan of Alan Cumming and looked forward to listening to the audio version of his book since he is the narrator. I wasn't disappointed. The story moves back and forth between "Then" and "Now." THEN, Alan struggles to survive his childhood under the control of an abusive father. NOW, he has signed up to appear on the TV show "Who Do You Think You Are" where they track your family history. At the same time, his father drops a bombshell on him that he has to struggle through. In doing the show, he strived to find out what happened to his maternal grandfather, who left his family to go to war and never returned, and also died under mysterious circumstances. Alan's story is heartbreaking and some of his tales of his father's abuse were difficult to listen to, but he was able to tell them with dignity, charm, insight, and sometimes even humor. The story of his grandfather's history was interesting, and I enjoyed how Alan was able to put together the similarities between himself and the grandfather he never knew. I think through his journey he did gain a bigger understanding of who he is. For what it's worth, I'm also a fan of "Who Do You Think You Are" and enjoyed learning about how that show is done. This was a great listen.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Kerri said...

i LOVE alan cumming now that i'm a "the good wife" fan. i saw him on the view talking about this book and i'd LOVE to listen to the audio book. glad to read your review. :)