10.05.2014

More musings on TV and movies

As a friend mentioned in the comments on my previous post, it was well worth it to watch the second episode of black-ish, which was so funny, better than the first episode, and worth the wait.  I look forward to more with this show.

Mysteries of Laura is still fun too.  I don't expect it to win any awards, but it's enjoyable.

 I loved the premiere of A to Z which I was really looking forward to.  I think it's charming and sweet, and I just love the actors.

I wasn't planning to watch, but a coworker recommended I check out Selfie, another show with an unfortunate title.  It was better than I expected.  I really like John Cho, and I'm giving this one a season pass.

I also checked out Manhattan Love Story, and eh.  While I think it's fun to hear the inner thoughts of the main characters as they related to the same experience, the majority of the show was done in voice over and I think it was just too much.  I'll give it another try, but this one is iffy.

Looking forward to Homeland tonight, and American Horror Story: Freak Show later in the week.  I think for AHS, I might have to record it and watch over the weekend during daylight hours. I really don't like being scared, but I love Jessica Lange and the performances on the show.  Speaking of being scared--the commercials for Annabelle freak me the hell out and I would never purposely see that movie.  I find dolls creepy anyway, and those ads aren't helping!

In the movie world, I saw Gone Girl on Friday.  As I expected, it was better than the book.  I still didn't care for the ending, but it played better on screen than it did in the book, in my opinion.  I thought Ben Affleck was great. I went to a 10:30am showing (AMC charges only $6 for shows before noon) and was surprised by how many people were there.  It was mostly women in their 50s and 60s who looked like teachers or librarians...how's that for a stereotype?  Anyway, I thought it was interesting that they all looked the same.  There were a few guys thrown in as well.

Ciao for now!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

i got caught up on ur blog last night but i was on my ipad and was having trouble leaving comments. i am so glad you're back to blogging! :) you know, it's funny- i actually liked "gone girl" book better than movie. maybe b/c i knew too much, but if i recall correctly, i sorta "liked" the wife in the beginning of book- but in the movie i just couldn't stand her from the beginning, so the twist wasn't such a surprise. but of course it wasn't, i knew what was going to happen. but i just mean i think i might have seen it coming in the movie, altho i did not in the book. i do remember tho while reading the book, i found it so unusual that i didn't like any characters, but DID like the story. that's hard to pull off. i am a ben fan any day of the week tho. i just felt like the movie didn't have time to get into the characters enough.