10.26.2014

Lost in Translation by Ella Frances Sanders

Lost in Translation: An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words from Around the WorldLost in Translation: An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words from Around the World by Ella Frances Sanders

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is such a lovely and charming little book filled with words from around the world that don't exactly have an English translation.

Some are quite beautiful, like my favorite in the book: komorebi, which is a Japanese word for the sunlight that filters through the leaves of the trees.

Some just make me think, "Yes! I needed a word for that!" like, trepverter which is a Yiddish word for a witty riposte or comeback you think of only when it is too late to use. Literally, "staircase words."

And the word that completely describes my life: tsundoku, Japanese for leaving a book unread after buying it, typically piled up together with other unread books.

I recommend this one for everyone.



View all my reviews

No comments: