7.26.2014

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

LandlineLandline by Rainbow Rowell

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


While I still LOVE Rainbow Rowell's writing, this one, in my opinion, didn't measure up to Eleanor & Park or Fangirl. I liked this book, but I didn't LOOOOVVVVEEEE it like I did the others. Part of the problem could be that I always have trouble with story lines that play around with the space-time continuum. I just feel like there are too many unanswered questions. I wish the story had been told from two points of view, so the reader could understand what was happening on the other end of the phone. Even though I didn't love this one, I still think Rainbow is a fantastic writer and I'll read anything she puts out. I look forward to whatever comes next.


View all my reviews

Update 15 minutes later:   I was reading reviews on Amazon.com and came across someone who hit the nail on the head.

SPOILER ALERT!!      SPOILER ALERT!!     SPOILER ALERT!!     SPOILER ALERT!! 


 The big question that was unanswered was, WHY wouldn't present-day Neal call Georgie back?!  This is why I wondered what was happening on the other end of the line.  He was always away from the house and never answered his phone and was really a jerk to her.  Was he not calling back because he himself had fallen into some sort of time confusion?  Or, did he try to call her back, but because she had the magic phone, he was unable to reach her?  The reason for all this is never discussed and that's a little frustrating.

No comments: