4.20.2014

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

Silver SparrowSilver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This story starts off with, "My father, James Witherspoon, is a bigamist." It's told in two parts, first by Dana, who is the daughter in James' secret/illegal marriage. The second part is told by his other daugheter, Chaurisse, from his first marriage. Dana and her mother know the situation, Chaurisse and her mother do not. James is the only character that I didn't care for. I cared about, and pulled for all the others.

Tayari Jones is a wonderful writer who really draws you in to each character's life. It got to a point where I really didn't want to put the book down. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because the final chapter felt rushed and the story left a lot of questions unanswered. I would love to know more about what happened to these characters' lives.

I also enjoyed reading the interview with the author at the end of the book.  Knowing why she wrote the book the way she did and how she was influenced, made me appreciate the story all the more.

I do look forward to reading other works by Ms. Jones.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

Ms. Movie said...

We read this for my book club last year. I would say sad, but good. It definitely makes you think about how differently men and women were and are still treated when it comes to teenage pregnancy. My favorite line was something like:

Man: "I wish I could get married without the woman being pregnant first."
Woman: "Then stop sleeping around until you get married."

Valerie said...

I remember that line--it was great. And so true.

Have you read anything else by the author?