3.27.2014

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

The GoldfinchThe Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I felt like this story started off really strong. For the first portion that took place in New York City, I was all in. But then when it moved to Las Vegas, it really meandered and went on too long. It took me a while to get through it and when the plot finally took the main character to Amsterdam, I found myself skimming a lot. The last 20 pages or so were so disjointed and too philosophical for my taste--there were long ramblings trying to make sense of the whole story. I felt disappointed by the end because I really wanted to love this book, and didn't. I think Donna Tartt is a strong writer, but sometimes she takes it too far with way too many adjectives and flowery description. Sometimes its on point and really helps you get a feel for the characters and the scene, but more often it just seems like she's showing off with her 20-cent words.

Update: After thinking about this all day, I'm dropping my rating from 3 to 2 stars. Overall, it was really just okay for me. I don't think the excellent 4-star beginning is enough to balance out the 1-star rest-of-the-book.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Kerri said...

I've been thinkng I need to read this, everyone says I should. Thank u for the honest review. Now I really don't want to mess with the length of it...there's just so much out there to read!!!

Valerie said...

Glad I could help. :o)