3.02.2014

My quick Oscar predictions

The Red Carpet preview is on and I realized I hadn't done my predictions yet.  I managed to see everything on the list below, and I'm sad to say that I didn't LOVE any of these movies.  I liked them plenty, some better than others, but there was nothing that left me wanting more.  (The only one I didn't care for at all was August: Osage County.  In fact, the biggest revelation for me is that Julia Louis-Dreyfus should've been nominated for Enough Said, over both Julia Roberts AND Meryl Streep for August: Osage County.)

So, here's a quick round up of who I think WILL win, and who I think SHOULD win.  We'll see how I do.

BEST PICTURE
  • American Hustle
  • Captain Phillips
  • Dallas Buyers Club
  • Gravity
  • Her
  • Nebraska
  • Philomena - SHOULD
  • 12 Years a Slave - WILL
  • The Wolf of Wall Street
This category is tough.  I'm really not sure who SHOULD win.  I went with Philomena because I enjoyed it most, meaning, I came away from it feeling pretty good.

BEST ACTOR
  • Christian Bale (American Hustle)
  • Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
  • Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
  • Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
  • Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club) - WILL / SHOULD
I wish this category could have six nominees.  Tom Hanks really should here, even if just for the last 10 minutes of Captain Phillips, but all of these performances were great, so you couldn't take away any of these to put Tom Hanks in.  Tough call, that one.

BEST ACTRESS
  • Amy Adams (American Hustle)
  • Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) - WILL / SHOULD
  • Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
  • Judi Dench (Philomena)
  • Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)
Blue Jasmine was a strange movie, but man, Cate Blanchett's performance was mesmerizing.
 
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
  • Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
  • Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
  • Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
  • Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
  • Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club) - WILL / SHOULD

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
  • Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
  • Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
  • Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave) - WILL / SHOULD
  • Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
  • June Squibb (Nebraska)

BEST DIRECTOR
  • American Hustle (David O. Russell)
  • Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón) - WILL
  • Nebraska (Alexander Payne) - SHOULD
  • 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen) -
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
  • Before Midnight (Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke)
  • Captain Phillips (Billy Ray)
  • Philomena (Steve Coogan, Jeff Pope)
  • 12 Years a Slave (John Ridley) - WILL / SHOULD
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (Terence Winter)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
  • American Hustle (Eric Warren Singer, David O. Russell) - WILL
  • Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen)
  • Dallas Buyers Club (Craig Borten, Melisa Wallack)
  • Her (Spike Jonze)
  • Nebraska (Bob Nelson) - SHOULD

No comments: