2.09.2014

Whittling down the Oscar to-do list

On Jan 24, I created a list of movies I wanted to see before the Oscars on March 2.  I've made pretty good progress over the last couple of weeks;

  • Captain Phillips
  • Her
  • Nebraska
  • Philomena
  • 12 Years a Slave
  • The Wolf of Wall Street
  • Blue Jasmine
  • August: Osage County
  • Before Midnight
Yesterday I also saw Inside Llewyn Davis -- it's nominated for Cinematography and Sound Mixing.  I kind of regret that I wasted my time on that one--I didn't really care for it.  Somehow I completely missed that it was a Coen Brothers movie--I didn't know it until the ending credits rolled.  Had I known, I would've been prepared for the weirdness.  Instead, I was left scratching my head.  The movie was only 1:44 long, but it felt much longer than that because it just wasn't enjoyable.


Of the movies I've seen since January 24, Captain Phillips kept me on the edge of my seat.  I was mesmerized by Cate Blanchett's performance in Blue Jasmine.  I chuckled quite a bit at Nebraska (sometimes, I was the only one in the theater laughing...there were 9 of us in there.  Not sure what was wrong with the other 8 people).  I think 12 Years A Slave is a good movie to see because it tells an important story, however, it needed a little more editing.  Philomena was good, and made me curious about the real-life story. 

I can't say that I LOVED any of these movies though.   That's what happens with Oscar nominees sometimes. 

I was trying to think if I actually saw any movies last year that I did LOVE, and sadly,  I couldn't come up with anything.  I did think Fruitvale Station was excellent, but it's not the kind of movie you love and want to watch and over and over again.  I'm sad that it was overlooked in the Oscar nominations...it was deserving.  I also enjoyed Twenty Feet from Stardom, which is nominated for Best Documentary, but again, it's not something you "Love."

Looking forward to seeing what happens this year.

No comments: