2.02.2014

Book review: Want Not by Jonathan Miles

Want NotWant Not by Jonathan Miles

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I wouldn't have picked this book up based on the plot summary, but I decided to read it based on the rave reviews. I have mixed feelings about it. I think there's a good message in this book about all the waste society produces and it is thought provoking. The book started strong and I was drawn to the three stories being told: a "freegan" couple, living off the grid and sustaining themselves from what they find in the trash; the divorced linguistics professor selected to work on a project to warn future generations to stay away from a toxic waste dump; and the guy who works in collections and his wife and stepdaughter; but about 2/3 of the way through, the stories started to meander, and I found myself skimming. It was interesting to learn how the three stories intersected, but I think one of the twists was too convenient. I don't know that I'd recommend this to anyone else. It would depend on their level of interest in the subject of waste, I guess.


View all my reviews

No comments: