1.27.2014

The Grammys Round Up

Some comments/observations about tonight's Grammy Awards.

  • Beyoncé looked fabulous, but she and Jay-Z need to keep their business in their bedroom.  I looked up the lyrics to "Drunk In Love" so I could figure out what they were bleeping out, and oh my.  Then I came across this: (NSFW if someone is reading over your shoulder.):  http://www.fuse.tv/2013/12/beyonce-new-album-raunchy-sexy-lyrics.  Oh, good lord.
  • If I had the money, I would pay a king's ransom for the next music award show producer/director to NOT show any shots of Taylor Swift dancing and lip syncing in the audience.  However, they can show Steven Tyler all they want.
  • Imagine Dragon and Kendrick Lamar KILLED IT!  I watched that performance three times before I moved on.
  • My favorite album last year was Bruno Mars' Unorthodox Jukebox, and it was one of the Grammy voters' favorites too--he won Best Pop Album!  Woo-hoo!
  • A friend posted on FB that she didn't know any of the Best New Artist nominees.  I only knew one, and thankfully they won, so I don't feel too out of it.  The winners were Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.  (Actually, I knew two, but I only knew the one guy because he was on The Voice last season as a guest mentor.  I can't remember his name now--the one with reddish shaggy hair.)
  • Paul & Ringo look great.  As does Willie Nelson--he's 80 years old!  He was on Bill Maher the other night and just came across as so sweet and humble.  Blake Shelton looked SO proud to be performing with Willie, Kris Kristofferson and Merle Haggard.  It was cute.  Also, whenever I hear "Mama, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys," I hear: "Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys. Chipmunks. Alvin!" in my head.
  •  
  • Did anyone notice that the comment above means that I didn't fast-forward through the country performance?  I also didn't fast-forward through Kasey Musgraves' performance, and am glad she won Best Country Album because I really liked the lyrics to her song "Follow Your Arrow."
  • I was really disappointed that there was a problem with the sound during the Daft Punk, Pharrell, Nile Rodgers and STEVIE WONDER performance.  What the hell?!  They had the audience on their feet though.
  • LOVED the performance by Carole King and Sarah Bareilles. 
  • Congratulations to all the couples who were married during Maclemore & Ryan Lewis' performance of Same Love.   That was interesting, and it was sweet to see Keith Urban and Katy Perry with tears in the their eyes afterward.  Also, Madonna and, especially, Queen Latifah looked fabulous.
  • Best acceptance speech came from Paul Williams who accepted the Best Album award for Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories."  He said, "Back when I was drinking and using, I used to imagine things that weren't there that were frightening. Then I got sober and two robots called and asked me to make an album." 
And with that...good night!

No comments: