1.14.2014

Looking for a laugh? Check out these shows.

I'm sorry my posts are so few and far between.  I've been meaning to write this one for a while, and since I'm currently watching one of the shows I wanted to write about, I figured now is as good a time as any.  ("Few and far between"; "now is as good a time as any"--cliché much?)

Anyway...there are some really funny shows this season.  Right now I'm watching The Goldbergs.  Honestly, I was reluctant to start this one because it seemed rather hokey, but it's come to be one of my favorites.  I love the little kid played by Sean Giambrone--he's great.  I love his squeaky voice.  The story is based on the life of the show's creator, Adam Goldberg, who grew up in the 80s.  (Sean Giambrone plays Adam as an 11-year-old.)  What I love most is that the real Adam Goldberg videotaped much of his childhood.  After most episodes, we see real-life footage of his family.  It's fun to see how well the show was cast.  I really look forward to this one each week and it's fun to reminisce about those crazy 80s.


Another show with a great kid is Trophy Wife.  This was another show I was reluctant to watch based on the show's title, but I really like this one too.  It kind of reminds me of Cougar Town, where the show's storyline has gotten away from what the name of the show suggests.  In Trophy Wife, Malin Akerman (the sister in 27 Dresses) plays Bradley Whitford's third wife.  It's about the new wife getting to know her new blended family, including the previous exes and their kids.  My favorite kid is Bert who was adopted by Brad Whitford and the second wife.  He's so cute and such a good actor.

Also funny, as proven by its win for Best Comedy during the Golden Globes the other night, is Brooklyn Nine-Nine.  That show makes me laugh out loud at least once each week.  André Braugher is a great straight man (even though his character is gay). 

[ASIDE:  What I'm not enjoying, and will probably drop soon, is New Girl.  Each week I record and watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, New Girl and The Mindy Project.  I consistently laugh out loud during the first and third show, but rarely at New Girl anymore.  I think it jumped the shark when Nick & Jess got together.  They need to break up.]

Still funny and overlooked is The MiddleModern Family makes me laugh too, but not quite as much as it used to.  Oh, and The Crazy Ones is good too.  I originally set a season pass to record it, but then decided I wasn't going watch.   A friend of mine mentioned that he really liked it, and since he doesn't watch much TV, I felt that was pretty telling.  Turns out I hadn't deleted the season pass, so I watched all the shows I had on backlog and found that I did enjoy it.  It must be crazy to be on a TV or movie set with Robin Williams.  I love the outtakes they show at the end.

So, there's some pretty good stuff on TV these days.  I hope I'm not the only one watching and enjoying these comedies, because I want them all to come back next season!

[Another ASIDE:  Shows that I don't find funny:  How I Met Your Mother (I'm committed to finishing this show, though), Sean Saves the World, and Mom.  I'm on the fence about The Michael J. Fox Show, Community, Raising Hope, and Cougar Town (too soon to tell...I've only seen one episode this season).  Regarding Community, I like that they rebooted the show and that the season premiere was called "Repilot," since they've basically started over.)

Maybe tomorrow, IF the mood strikes, I'll come back to discuss the dramas.  (I beg you, please don't hold your breath about that.  I'll forget that I even said it by the time I go to bed tonight.)


1 comment:

Allyssa said...

Maybe we'll have to start watching Brooklyn 99. I love Mindy Project. I tried 2 episodes of Crazy Ones and I couldn't deal with the spastic Robin Williams...he's great and I love his stand-up comedy, but I just don't think it works in a show...at least from the 2 episodes I saw...maybe it got better. I tried The Michael J. Fox show too and just didn't think it was that funny. I didn't like Mom at all. Maybe I'll look into the Goldbergs and Trophy Wife...they both sound potentially good. Arty is in love with Zooey D, so we'll be watching New Girl for quite awhile. It's tolerable, but it hasn't been LOL-funny all season. I'm tired of the Schmidt-CC drama and I don't really like the new dynamic with Coach. I don't feel like he's a real person...I don't know anyone who acts like that.