8.12.2013

Orange is the New Black (The book, not the show)

Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's PrisonOrange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this story of a woman's one-year experience/journey in a minimum-security federal prison. 

The story provides a much different view of the prison system than what I'm used to seeing.  (Movies and TV tend to show male maximum security situations.)

The author makes an effort to show that adjustments are needed to the federal prison system.  She brought to light issues I'd never really considered, particularly as it relates to prisoners re-entering the real world after serving their time.

It's definitely an interesting read.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Netflix series based on this book, but I look forward to seeing it.  More on that later!



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Kerri said...

i finally got around to reading this a few weeks ago- really found it interesting. now i want to watch the netflix show and see how it compares!