7.21.2013

Manless in Montclair (ugh) by Amy Holman Edelman

Manless in Montclair: Love, Loss, Excessive DatingManless in Montclair: Love, Loss, Excessive Dating by Amy Holman Edelman

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The Kindle version was cheap on Amazon, and it had decent reviews, so I ordered it. If I could, I'd give it 2 1/2 stars.

I'm really glad I had this on my Kindle because: 1) I hate the title of the book and, 2) would you look at that cover? Terrible! I'd be so embarrassed to be carrying that around in public.

Anyway, the story is about Isabel who is in her early forties when her husband Michael suddenly passes away. After Michael dies, Isabel tries to get back on her feet, and after a request from her daughter for a new daddy, she takes to the dating world.

I really enjoyed the first half of the book which includes flashbacks about how Isabel and Michael met and fell in love. I really liked both characters and their relationship.

It's the second half of the book, where Isabels starts dealing with online dating, speed dating, arranged dinner parties, blind dates, etc. that lost me. Isabel became annoying and she was trying too hard. It seemed like she barely grieved for her husband and then just had to have a man to complete her life. I didn't like that message, even though Isabel was searching for a man under the guise of providing for her kids.

Still, I do like the author's writing style and wit, and would probably give her another chance. I wouldn't recommend this one, though.


View all my reviews

No comments: