5.31.2013

What can I say? My memory sucks.



I recently came across a little journal I used in the past to keep track of books I read.  This was before I discovered Goodreads.  As I flipped through it, I realized that my note taking was terrible.  I don't remember reading many of the books, and even when I do remember the book, I can't exactly remember what it was about.

For example, in June 2005, I apparently read a book called The Lady & the Unicorn.  It was recommended by a friend of mine, and I have absolutely no recollection of it at all.  Look, I didn't even write down the author's name. 
Read June 30, 2005.  My thoughts:  Recommended by Laura.  I enjoyed it but don't think I'll read any others by this author (i.e., Girl with a Pearl Earring).  It was interesting to read how the weaving was done in the 15th century and about the class and social ways of the time.


After doing some research, I still don't recognize the book.  And, judging the by cover (which I admit to doing all the time) it doesn't even look like something I'd pick up.  I'm completely baffled that I ever read this.


Later that summer, I also read Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five

In case you can't read my writing:  This was read August 13, 2005.  My thoughts:  Wow. At first I was very confused by this book going back and forth in time but then I "got it" and couldn't put it down.  War is horrible -- I knew that -- but Kurt Vonnegut really gets this message across through the eyes of Billy Pilgrim.
I apparently liked it, but have no idea what it was about.  I even wrote about this one on the blog, and as I read what I wrote, I'm like, what?  Aliens?  Why don't I remember this?!  I told my friend Mark earlier tonight that I'm going to have to re-read this one at some point.

Thankfully there are entries that I absolutely remember and am glad to have captured:

Read May 2007, Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote.  My thoughts:  LOVED it.  I've really come to love Mr. Capote's writing style.  Very simple, yet so full.  Different than the movie and of course, better.
In any case, I'm glad Goodreads is around nowadays.   I appreciate being able to read the plot and see the book cover, my ratings, and thoughts about the books all in one place.  It's fun to read through and jog my memory.

So, speaking of books I need to read again, I also decided tonight that it might be interesting to re-read Sidney Sheldon's Master of the Game.  I remember loving it 20+ years ago, but again, don't remember many details.  I wonder if it holds up.  I'd also like to re-read Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities.  I remember loving it too.  (The movie, not so much.)  Both are great summer reads, so they're on my agenda this year.  Stay tuned.

No comments: