4.21.2013

The Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess Walter

The Financial Lives of the PoetsThe Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess Walter

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Aw man. Beautiful Ruins was the first Jess Walter book I read, and it was one of my favorite books of 2012. I really looked forward to reading another of his books, but was ultimately let down with The Financial Lives of the Poets. I give it 2.5 stars.

I still think Jess Walter is a great writer, but the main character in this story, Matt Prior, is an idiot who makes horrible decision after horrible decision. Horrible isn't even the right word...more like preposterous. The one thing I could never get with is that after losing his job as a newspaper reporter, he decides to start a website to dole out financial advice in poetic prose. See? Preposterous! That decision, plus the excessive spending habits of his wife, lead to the website failing and he and his wife falling into financial ruin. His life just gets worse from there based on more stupid decisions. It'd be one thing if Matt had any redeeming qualities, but he doesn't, so I found that I wasn't even rooting for him.

I'll give Mr. Walter another chance. I've seen some good reviews for some of his other books that will hopefully be more appealing.

View all my reviews

No comments: