4.02.2013

Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez

Divine MisfortuneDivine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A friend showed this book to me while we were browsing at the bookstore and when I read this small excerpt from the inside cover, I knew I was going to buy it:

"Maybe you should get a god"
"We have one."
"Oh really?" Janet raised an eyebrow. "Is he hot? Or is he even a he? Did you go the goddess route?"
"No, he's a he."
"Cool. So is he hot?"
"He's a raccoon."
"Like with the striped tail and the cute little paws?"
Teri nodded.
"Very retro."


A young couple, Phil & Teri, who are a little down on their luck, decide to find a god to help bring a little prosperity to their lives. They find Luka, aka Lucky, on an online deity matching site. They don't need to sacrifice any animals for him...all he asks is for a small cut of their fortune and that he stay at their house. My favorite character was a friend of Lucky's: Quetzalcoatl, who was nicknamed Quick.

This book reminded me a lot of Neil Gaiman's American Gods but it's not as dark, (though there are dark moments) and it's a fun and quick read. American Gods took a little more concentration.

This one kept me smiling throughout.

My version of the book also included an excerpt from another of A. Lee Martinez's books, Chasing the Moon. I'm hooked, and will be reading that one too at some point. Mr. Martinez has a new fan.


View all my reviews

No comments: