3.06.2013

The Book of JoeThe Book of Joe by Jonathan Tropper
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A friend of mine recommended Jonathan Tropper to me. It wasn't until after I bought "The Book of Joe" that I realized she only rated this particular one with two stars. She didn't feel it lived up to his other work. Since I didn't have anything else to compare it to, I liked this book.

It's the story of Joe, who left his home town and became a famous author after writing a scathing fictional account of his childhood and teen years that pissed off the whole town. He then has to face everyone 17 years after he left town, after his father suffers a stroke. The story is pretty predictable, but I enjoyed it and enjoyed the writing. I look forward to reading more from Jonathan Tropper.

The ONE thing that really bothered me is that there were excerpts from Joe's "book" throughout the book, and although Joe's book was published as fiction, it seems that he used the townspeople's real names and then exaggerated their worst flaws. OF COURSE they were pissed off!


View all my reviews

No comments: