10.04.2012

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

Beautiful RuinsBeautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was pretty much perfect.

In a nutshell, it's about Pasquale, a young man who is the proprietor of a small hotel in a tiny village on the coast of Italy. He has big dreams of building up his hotel in order to attract American tourists. Suddenly appears a beautiful American actress, Dee Moray, who had been working on the set of Cleopatra when she learns she has cancer. The story goes back and forth between Italy in 1962 to current-day Hollywood (where Pasquale is trying to find the actress he met so many years before) and even to World War II and the Wild West. There are a lot of characters and story lines surrounding Pasquale and Dee, including one about Richard Burton, but they all flow together so well, and when it's over, there are no loose ends. It's about love, romance, loneliness, family, the movie business, hope, dreams, fear, relationships, and so much more. I just loved it and realized as I neared the conclusion that I didn't want it to end. I look forward to reading it again, as well as other books by Jess Walter.

View all my reviews

No comments: