8.01.2012

The Song Is You by Arthur Phillips

The Song Is You: A NovelThe Song Is You: A Novel by Arthur Phillips

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I liked the idea of this book--that each song on the main character's iPod is a touchstone in his life.  I often think about which songs are touchstones in my own life.  But I really didn't care for how the author carried out the plot.  Julian was just creepy to me, and there's no way I could imagine someone like Cait being interested in him and going along with his stalker-ish ways.  I enjoyed the beginning of the book, about Julian's father and his link to Billie Holiday, and liked the brother character, but mostly I found the book tedious and annoying.  I saw someone mention in a review on Goodreads that the author seemed to spend a lot of time impressing himself.  I think that's exactly the problem.

I really should've known better--I attempted Prague a while back and couldn't get through it for the same reason.  The subject matter in The Song Is You seemed more interesting, but I was still ultimately disappointed.  I gave it two stars instead of one because I did find myself intrigued as to what happened, but that's about it.


View all my reviews

No comments: