6.05.2012

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and BusinessThe Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I admit that after seeing Charles Duhigg on The Daily Show, I knew I wanted to read this book in hopes that it would have the answer for how to finally break some of my bad habits. But, as the author tells you at the end of the book, "This book doesn't contain one prescription." He also read my mind and said, "most people, when they hear about this field of research want to know the secret formula for quickly changing any habit."

Okay, okay. So this book didn't provide the magic solution I was hoping for (changing habits takes quite a bit of work), but it did provide a lot of interesting information about how habits are formed, how companies and corporations use that knowledge to their advantage (Target knows WAY too much about its customers, and I'm paying cash from now on), how whole societies have habits of their own, and tips for looking at your bad habits and trying to break them down to create new habits.

It was an enjoyable read that I'll be thinking about for a while.

View all my reviews

3 comments:

Mark said...

Glad you liked the book! I might have to give it a read myself -- but not until I get back from vacation. I'd rather enjoy my bad habits until at least then. :)

Valerie said...

Makes sense to me. You can borrow my book when you're ready.

Kerri said...

on my list- waiting list at the library.