5.09.2012

Top 4 perform on Idol

No time for a long recap tonight, but here's a brief rundown:

Hollie, Jessica, Phillip, and Joshua make up the Top 4.  Tonight they'll first do "California Dreaming" (songs from artists or bands from CA or about CA), then the songs they wish they'd written, or songs that inspire.

Round One - California Dreaming

Phillip is up first with CCR's (Creedence Clearwater Revival) "Have You Ever Seen the Rain."  Aw, this song that reminds me of my dad.  PP sounds good tonight...much better than last week.  I give it a B+.

Hollie does Journey's "Faithfully."  Nice job.  B+.  Randy said she did Steve Perry proud, and Randy would know since he used to play with Journey.  What?  He did?!  Why have I never heard that?  (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

Joshua sings "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban and dedicates it to his father.  A fantastic performance with a gospel flair.  Fantastic!  Grade:  A.

Jessica takes on Etta James' "Steal Away."  I think she took Steven's advice to sign the blues to heart.  Judges loved.  I give it a B+.


Collaboration 1Josh and PP do Maroon 5's "This Love."  Josh: A, PP: B.  Josh outsings PP when they get together.

Collaboration 2: Hollie and Jessica sing The Bengals' "Eternal Flame."  On swings.  I give it a B overall.  Randy hated it.

Collaboration 3Josh, Jessica, PP, and Hollie sing "I've Been Waiting" by Foreigner.  It's ok.  B.

Round Two - Songs that Inspire  Oh yay--Jimmy's on.

Phillip - "Volcano" by Damien Rice.  I'm not familiar with this song, but PP does a great job with it.  Grade: A.

Hollie - "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt.  Decent job, but didn't wow me.  Judges didn't like it.  My grade: B.

Joshua takes on James Brown's "It's a Man's Man's Man's World."  He's sooooooo good.  A+++++++ and a standing O from the judges.   I've watched it 3 times now.

Jessica sings "And I Am Telling You" by Jennifer Holliday.  As my friend Amy said, "She sang the shit out of that song!"  A+++++++++!!!!!  FANTASTIC.  And another standing O from the judges.  Randy said she's phenomenal.

After these two great performances, and Phillip's 2nd song, it's Hollie's time to go.  She's done well, but she just doesn't measure up to PP, Josh and Jessica. 

UPDATE:  I'm back again after having watched Joshua's performance for the 5th time.  Honestly, this might be the best performance I've ever seen on this or any other singing competition show.  Every time I watch it, I see something new.  Toward the end of the song when he hit the really high note, I find myself grunting "mmm" or going, "Whew!" and at the same time, JLo pushed herself away from the table like she was too through.  Oh, he made it so gritty, singing through clenched teeth.  He was just feeling that song.  I love it.   Seriously.  That was amazing.  Juliet Simms sang this on The Voice recently.  Absolutely no comparison. 








No comments: