5.17.2012

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Okay, okay.  Yes, I jumped on the bandwagon and read this out of sheer curiosity.  Also, I was reminiscing with a friend of mine about how we used to swipe her mom's romance books when we were 11 or 12 years old and read all the sex scenes.  If we heard anyone coming, we'd hide the book under the mattress.  I told my friend that we should read this together, so it'd be like the good ole days.


Neither of us were particularly interested in S&M, but we do like a good steamy book every once in a while. To paraphrase my friend, this book was sort of fascinating, but not a turn on. And that, I think, is due to the amateurish and repetitive writing. I did a search on my Kindle and found the following:

  • somebody's voice or breath "hitched" 18 times.
  • somebody (usually Anastasia) flushed 119 times, while she blushed 39 times.
  • Christian told Anastasia to stop biting her lip 14 times.
  • she actually refers to her genital area as "down there" 16 times
  • she references her "inner goddess" 58 times, and her subconscious 80 times--it's likes she had multiple personalities!

It goes on and on. This made reading tedious and took away from any heat in the sex scenes.

And yet, somehow, despite all that, I found myself wanting to know what happens next. I'm more interested in the character development than what Christian and Anastasia do with (or to) each other. I want to know about Christian's background. I want to see what happens with these two, and will likely read the rest of the series despite the tedium. Call me a glutton for punishment.

What I've really enjoyed, though, is reading all the 1-star reviews on Goodreads and Amazon. My favorite review, on Amazon, summarizes the story perfectly and honestly made me laugh out loud.  The reviews are quite entertaining, and I agree with most of them. I give the extra star to my review  just because the author did manage to keep my interest. Reading this was similar to watching train-wreck TV. Once you start, it's hard to turn away.

Oh, and I wanted to mention that for a great story and great sex scenes, I highly recommend Kathryn Harvey's Butterfly--my favorite "trashy" novel. Wifey, by Judy Blume is good too.  Wifey was one of the books that my friend and I read when we were 11 or 12.  (We read all of Judy Blume's other books, why not this one?  Oh, it's for adults, you say?  Child, please.) Anyway, I read it again a few years ago and it was still so steamy!

View all my reviews

No comments: