4.09.2012

Team CeeLo vs. Team Adam

It's the 2nd night of live shows on The Voice and contestants from CeeLo & Adam's teams will be performing.

Adam looks especially debonair this evening in all black.  Love him.  CeeLo is back to his bald look this evening, thank goodness. 

Up first is Katrina Parker from Adam's team.  She's singing "Tonight, Tonight" by the Smashing Pumpkins.  During rehearsal Adam tells her to be herself, stop being Adele.   But, when she comes out, she's wearing a black cocktail dress with her hair swepts to one side and looks just like Adele.  I'm not familiar with this song, but she had a decent performance.  Christina wanted her to rock out, but overall thought she did a good job.  CeeLo told her the song sounded too show tune-y.  Adam thought she killed it.



Cheesa is next from CeeLo's team. She's singing "Don't Leave Me This Way."  She was great.  Blake loved it.  Adam suggested she wasn't unique enough, but she did a great job.  CeeLo said it was a success.

Tony Lucca from Adam's team is next.  He's the guy that was on the Mickey Mouse club with Christina, JT, and Britney Spears.  He's doing Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes." He seemed out of breath at first, but I liked his performance.  I like his voice.  Xtina basically told him "Yeah, I used to know you and all, but I didn't care for it."  She said he's one-dimensional and she wants to see where he'd grow from here.  She thinks there are better voices on the show, and hopes the show is more about the voices than the "celebrity sway."  Adam said, "That was honest."  Adam was proud and happy about the performance. 

Also from Adam's team is Kim Yarbrough singing Adele's "Rolling in the Deep."  She was good, but I wasn't wowed.  I think I was comparing it to Adele's version too much, and it didn't measure up.  Blake said she got better as it went along.  CeeLo thought it was the wrong song choice.  He said the song is a safe song, and such a current song, and the comparisons are too close.  "I don't know if I loved it.  But I do love you."  I think he was basically saying what I felt.  Adam said he'd be remiss if he didn't say there were some problems, but he hopes she goes through.

From Team CeeLo is James Massone.  He's doing "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones.  Parts of the song were too high for him and he sounded screechy to me.  The ladies in the crowd certainly love him, which is what CeeLo was banking on in choosing the song.  Blake said, "I almost threw my panties on the stage."  Christina liked it, but did mention the pitch problems.  She said when he hits the notes, it's really "dope."  Really, Christina?  Dope?  Haven't heard that in 15 years.  CeeLo said he may have paid too much attention to the ladies, when he should have been projecting more on the higher notes.  Still, he's "solid."

Next from CeeLo's team is Juliet Simms singing "Roxanne" from The Police.  I like her voice best so far tonight.  There were a couple of times where she sounded like she might be going hoarse, but she was great.  Adam said, "This just pisses me off!"  He wanted her on his team, and he says this is the best performance he's seen so far.  I concur!  Christina again used the word "Dope" and seconded everything Adam said.  Blake said she's so good.  CeeLo said "Wow, Baby.  Just wow."

Team Adam's is Mathai singing John Legend's "Ordinary People."  I'm not a big fan of this song, but she did a nice job with it.  She's gorgeous and has a distinct, unique voice.  Except it's not that unique, because she sounds like Corinne Bailey Rae and also like someone who I think is on CeeLo's team, AND like a girl that was on Blake's team last season.  Christina said she made it her own, but it was a little lounge-y.  Blake likes her confidence.  Adam said she's magical and he couldn't be happier with her performance.

Tony Vincent from CeeLo's team is next.  He's singing Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants To Rule the World."  He's a really interesting guy with his bald head and eyeliner.  I really like this guy, and I'll always have a soft spot for him since he was a part of "Rent," but I didn't love this performance.  I think he needed something more rock-y and powerful.  Blake didn't care for the staging, which made it hard for him to focus on the music.  Xtina, however, loved the production value.  She thought there were vocal restraints, maybe because the song was too restrictive.  (I think this is what I was saying too.)  CeeLo agreed, and apologized if he restricted Tony in the song choice. 

From Adam's team, next is Karla Davis, she's doing "Airplanes" by B.o.B.  Interesting, seeing as how she's a country singer.  She was good during the chorus, but rather weak during the verses.  She seemed to lose her breath a bit.  She also seemed to be thinking a lot.  It was just okay.  Xtina was surprised by the song choice, but she did a good job.  She said it was a bit of a whisper.  Blake said she did as well as she could do with that song.  The song didn't allow her to explore what her voice can do.  Adam said it could've been better, she was breahthy & nervous, but did a good job.

Here comes Erin Martin from CeeLo's team.  This is the girl whose voice sounds like Mathai's from Adam's team.  She's singing "Walk Like an Egyptian" by the Bangles.  I really don't like this girl.  She's got an enormous ego, and I don't think she sounds as good as Mathai.  She comes out on a chariot and gives a mediocre performance.  She was too focused on her Egyptian movements and acting cute.  CeeLo told her she has a lot of naysayers in the Twitterverse that she needs to prove wrong.  Well, she didn't convince this naysayer.  Blake said she did as well as she could with that song.  Xtina wanted to see more aggressiveness with her voice.  CeeLo echoed that.  She looks pissed as Carson reads out her phone numbers.

Two more to go.

From Team Adam is  Pip.  He's singing "When You Were Young" by The Killers.  He wants to get into more rock, and figures this is his chance.  Adam told him he needs to make it less "smooth."  It's weird to see him singing a rock song while still wearing his red bow tie with a leather jacket.  I like his voice though.  Christina said she appreciates his vocal ability, but it came off as him trying too hard.  She wasn't connected at all.  Adam wanted him to be more dangerous, but it didn't happen.  He said, "you need to be a little less trustworthy....more gritty."  Maybe he needs a different name than "Pip."  Maybe something like Bluto. 

Last up is Jamar Rogers, from CeeLo's team.  Jamar has been a drug addict, and is HIV positive.  (Did I know that??)  No matter...I LOVED him during the battle, and hope he brings it again this week.  He's doing Lenny Kravitz's "Are You Gonna Go My Way?"  And, he brings it!  My favorite performance of the night!!  He's got female guitarists on stilts. What?!   I will be downloading this song.  I think this competition is his to lose.  No one else compares.  Blake didn't understand the stilts.  I thought it was cool.  Adam said he embodies what this show is.  CeeLo said, "Do you hear this crowd?!"



My faves tonight were Jamar and Juliet both from CeeLo's team.  I liked Cheesa, too, from his team.  Least faves were everyone else, but especially Erin Martin.

My sister pointed out that Adam's team was disappointing and he didn't seem to be too into it as far as mentoring them this week.  He let them choose their own songs, and missed opportunities to steer them in a different/better direction.  I told her that after so many comments tonight about wrong song choice, maybe he'd be more active in the contestant's choices next time.  Adam's still cute though.






No comments: