4.04.2012

80's night on Idol

Intros, intros, blah, blah, blah.

Plus a picture of Randy from the 80s.

Tonight each contestant will sing their own song, and then they will also be paired for a male/female duet.  No Doubt's Gwen Stefani and Tony Kanal will be guest mentoring.

Deandre is singing "I Like It" by DeBarge.  Aw, love this song.  I hope D. does it justice.  Uh-oh.  I actually like this performance.  First time I've liked him since auditions when he did Maxwell's "Pretty Wings."  I didn't like the falsetto at the very end, but otherwise, he was pretty good.  Steven said it was captivating.  Randy liked that he used more of his natural voice, rather than too much falsetto. That's what I liked about it too.



Elise is next.  She was trying to decide between Hallelujah" and Foreigner's "I Wanna Know What Love Is."  She went with Foreigner.  She's great.  Tony talked about her giving him goosebumps during rehearsal.  I got 'em too during her performance.  (Gwen told him they're called "goosies" on this show.  Not on my blog, baby!)  Steven didn't think it was the right song, but he loves her voice.  Randy said she never quite hit the pitch right.  I thought she was better than the judges gave her credit for.

Oh gosh.  After the break, Colton & Skylar will be doing Kenny & Dolly.  PLEASE don't let them sing "Islands in the Stream."  (Though, it is kind of funny that that song was just in my head earlier today when I was presented with the option of drawing a "stream" in a game of Draw Something.)

Here they are to sing...."Islands in the Stream."  Oy vey.  Colton's all blonde this week.  Can't say it's much of an improvement.  Eh.  Anyway, they harmonize nicely.  Colton seemed to forget a couple of times that Skylar was there.  He was more focused on the camera.  Skylar out-sang Colton on this one, but okay...they were good.

Phillip is next, singing Genesis' "That's All."  Didn't sound too good in rehearsals.  Hopefully he'll pull it together.  I'm sure he will.  His brother plays on stage with him...that's cool.  He did a good job.  Steven loved it.  So did Randy.  Jen said he seemed lost at the beginning, but then brought it together.

The next duet is  Hollie & Deandre.  They're singing The Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited."  Man I hate this song.  If I never heard it again, I'd be okay.  They harmonize well too though.  Raves from the judges.

Steven admitted that the 80's weren't good for him, with music, partially because he wasn't "all there for it."  He said "I was other places at the time!"  Steven, this is a family show!

Joshua will be singing Simply Red's "If You Don't Know Me By Now."  This should be good.  Nice.  He does a great job.  His voice reminds me of Bobby Womack a bit.  Standing O from the judges.  JLo said, "We asked for a powerhouse performance, and that's what we got!"  Judges loved it.

Jessica is next doing "How Will I Know" by Whitney Houston.  Gwen recommended she work on her moves while she's singing.  Jessica said she has an alter ego (BeBe Chez) just like Beyonce's Sasha Fierce.  We're going to see BeBe Chez tonight.  How can this girl only be 16?  Plus she's so tiny.  When she turns sideways, she disappears.  Amazing voice.  Judges loved it.  OF COURSE Randy worked on that song with Whitney Houston.

Elise & Phillp are next with "Stop Dragging My Heart Around."  These two are a perfect pairing.  They were great.

Hollie is singing "What a Feeling" from Flashdance.  Uh-oh.  Hollie's off tonight.  Steven pointed out that her pitch was all over the place.  Jen said she can see that Hollie is listening to what everyone's telling her, but at some point, she needs to just let it go.  She needs to stop thinking when she gets up on the stage.  Randy echoed it.

Jessica & Joshua are up next.  Looking forward to that!  They're singing George Michael's "I Knew You Were Waiting For Me."   Another great pairing!  Jen's imagining these two as the final two.  Judges loved it.

Colton's doing "Time After Time."  Gwen & Tony said they always put that song on to get inspiration when they're writing songs.  Gwen sang harmony with him in rehearsal--sounded great.  He's good.  This might be the first time I really liked his performance.  (I know I'm in the minority.  My friends have loved him all along.)   Judges loved it. 

Bringing up the rear is Skylar.  She's singing "Wind Beneath My Wings."  She was a little flat in the beginning, but then she really belted it out.  The judges gave her a Standing O--I wouldn't take it that far, but she did a good job.  Judges loved.

Great performances tonight.  I really liked Jessica, Joshua, Phillip, and Deandre.  And Colton.  That leaves Hollie, Elise, and Skylar as my bottom three.  I want Elise there another week, so I'll call in some votes for her.

Until tomorrow...






No comments: